Sam Liccardo wins primaries for Anna Eshoo’s congressional seat

On Monday evening, Sam Liccardo was announced as a winner of the California’s 16th district primary with 32,123 votes. Liccardo, who’s approximately seven thousand votes in the lead, will move onto the general election for 16-term incumbent Rep. Anna Eshoo’s seat in Congress. 

As this race is a top two all-party primary, the two candidates with the highest votes will move on to the general election, regardless of partisan affiliation. Santa Clara County Supervisor Joe Simitian and member of the 26th District Assembly Evan Low are still in the running for the other spot on the general election ballot. 

With 82% of votes counted, Simitian is closest to winning the second spot on the ballot in the general election with 25,379 votes after a close race with Liccardo.

Evan Low is also vying for the other spot with 24,630 votes. 

“We are so grateful that voters in both San Mateo and Santa Clara Counties have put Sam Liccardo in first place in the primary,” the Liccardo campaign wrote in a statement to The Daily.

In the statement, his campaign highlighted his commitment to addressing issues like “homelessness, the high cost of living, reproductive rights and protecting our democracy,” and they’re looking forward to continuing to discuss these “crucial” topics with voters over the rest of the campaign.

The Daily has reached out to the Simitian and Low campaigns for comment.

Correction: A previous version of this article referenced Joe Simitian as “mayor.” Simitian is a Santa Clara County Supervisor. The Daily regrets this error.

Bertha Gonzalez '27 is a news staff writer and beat reporter for local politics at The Stanford Daily; she writes under the University Desk. She is decisively pre-med, and her favorite stuffed animal at the moment is Mr. Wilbert Scrumples. Contact her at "[email protected]".