Stanford fires Jerod Haase after eight seasons with no NCAA tournament appearances

Stanford fired men’s basketball head coach Jerod Haase, who leaves with a 126-127 record and zero NCAA tournament appearances over eight seasons on the Farm.

A prolific recruiter, Haase brought three McDonald’s All-Americans to Stanford over the past four years. Still, the team was unable to reach the NCAA tournament under his leadership.

Haase had an overall 67-84 Pac-12 conference record, with his best finish coming in 2017-2018, when he posted an 11-7 record en route to a third place conference finish. The program only made the postseason once during Haase’s tenure, getting to the second round of the NIT in 2018.

Between 1995-2008, the Stanford men’s basketball team made the NCAA tournament 13 out of 14 years. However, since that time, the program has only made the tournament once — in 2014.

Stanford athletic director Bernard Muir will now begin a nationwide search for the 19th men’s basketball coach in Stanford history as the team prepares to move to the ACC. Early favorites to land the role include Washington State’s Kyle Smith and Princeton’s Mitch Henderson. 

“While the on-court results fell short of our expectations, Coach Haase led our men’s basketball program with great integrity and made a deeply positive impact on many Cardinal student-athletes,” Muir said. “As we embark on the search for our next head coach, I wish Jerod and his family all the best in the future.”

This article was corrected to more accurately reflect Haase’s record. The Daily regrets this error.

Kaushik Sampath is a desk editor for the sports section. He is a sophomore from Fayetteville, Arkansas, who's undecided on his major. You can catch him watching and ranting about his beloved Arkansas Razorbacks or hanging out with friends on campus. Contact him at sports 'at' stanforddaily.com.