Women’s basketball coach Tara VanDerveer retires

Following 38 seasons on the Farm that made her the winningest coach in college basketball

Women’s basketball coach Tara VanDerveer announced on Tuesday that she would retire following 38 seasons at Stanford. VanDerveer, who holds the record for the most wins of all time in college basketball, will be succeeded by long-time Stanford assistant coach Kate Paye.

In her time on the Farm, VanDerveer won three national championships and took the team to 13 Final Fours. She also captured 27 Pac-12 regular season championships and 15 Pac-12 conference tournament championships. 

“I’ve been spoiled to coach the best and brightest at one of the world’s foremost institutions for nearly four decades,” VanDerveer wrote in a press release. “Coupled with my time at Ohio State and Idaho, and as head coach of the United States National Team, it has been an unforgettable ride.”

Stanford Athletics Director Bernard Muir praised VanDerveer’s contribution to women’s basketball at Stanford and beyond.

“Tara’s name is synonymous with the sport and women’s basketball would not be what it is today without her pioneering work,” Muir wrote in a press release. “Tara’s impact is simply unmatched, and I don’t think it’s a stretch to characterize her as one of the most influential people to ever be associated with this university.”

Even in retirement, VanDerveer will continue to hold a strong presence on the Farm, as she steps into an advisory role for Stanford Athletics. But it appears the Cardinal will head into its inaugural ACC campaign without the Hall of Fame coach on the sideline.

Kaushik Sampath is a desk editor for the sports section. He is a sophomore from Fayetteville, Arkansas, who's undecided on his major. You can catch him watching and ranting about his beloved Arkansas Razorbacks or hanging out with friends on campus. Contact him at sports 'at' stanforddaily.com.