Sparks fly: Cameron Brink drafted No. 2 overall to WNBA

Published April 16, 2024, 4:46 p.m., last updated April 16, 2024, 4:46 p.m.

Senior forward Cameron Brink closed an incredible collegiate career on Monday night when she was selected with the No. 2 overall pick in the 2024 WNBA Draft to the Los Angeles Sparks. Brink is the 31st Stanford player drafted to the WNBA, and the highest Cardinal selection since Chiney Ogwumike went No. 1 overall in 2014. 

“I’ve been dreaming about this ever since I can remember,” Brink said in an interview with ESPN before the draft. 

As she takes her next steps into the professional ranks, Brink leaves behind a historic legacy at Stanford. A three-time All-American and two-time National Defensive Player of the Year, Brink anchored the Cardinal teams on both ends of the court during her tenure on The Farm.

En route to two Pac-12 tournament championships and a national championship, Brink rewrote practically every block record in the books while also the driving force behind the Stanford offense. 

Looking ahead, Brink’s services will prove essential in Los Angeles. The Sparks are a storied franchise as founding members in the league and with three championships. However, they finished last season with a 17-23 record and missed the playoffs for the third straight year, the longest playoff drought in franchise history. 

As a part of their rebuild, the Sparks made two selections in the top four of this year’s draft — they also selected Tennessee forward Rickea Jackson at No. 4 after Brink. Brink and Jackson are expected to make an immediate impact on the floor, and also grow into cornerstones in the franchise. 

“I’m just so looking forward to a new challenge and ready to get to work,” Brink said following her selection. 

The LA Sparks open the 2024 WNBA regular season on May 15 against the Atlanta Dream.

Kevin Jing is a contributor to The Daily's sports section.