Men’s basketball lands transfer from UC Irvine

Former University of California at Irvine guard Derin Saran announced his commitment to Stanford Friday morning, the third player that Kyle Smith has obtained from the transfer portal this year.

In his lone season with the Anteaters, Saran averaged 10.1 points and 1.6 assists per game. 

The 6-foot-4 guard has displayed his proficiency to score in transition and spot-up situations, while also being a prolific passer. He will have the opportunity to compete for a starting role for the Cardinal next season.

“Derin possesses good size and skill in the backcourt,” Smith said. “His ability to score and make plays with a high usage rate should translate well as he levels up to Stanford.”

Saran helped the Anteaters achieve a 24-10 overall record and a 17-3 record in the Big West conference. UC Irvine received a bid to the NIT, where they lost to Utah in the first round. While the ACC will certainly be a step up in play, Saran’s early career achievements reveal that he has the potential to be an impact player at the highest levels of college hoops in the coming years.

Kaushik Sampath is the sports managing editor. He is a junior from Fayetteville, Arkansas and a history major. You can catch him watching and ranting about his beloved Arkansas Razorbacks or hanging out with friends on campus. Contact him at sports 'at' stanforddaily.com.