Peter DeMarzo named interim GSB dean 

Peter DeMarzo M.S. ’85 Ph.D. ’89, former senior associate dean of the Graduate School of Business (GSB) and John G. McDonald Professor of Finance, will serve as interim dean for the GSB effective Aug. 1, as current dean Jonathan Levin ’94 assumes the role of Stanford’s president. 

Levin will succeed President Richard Saller, who stepped into the position after Marc Tessier Lavigne’s resignation last July. 

DeMarzo currently teaches two courses on corporate finance — FINANCE350: “Corporate Financial Modeling” and FINANCE351: “Advanced Corporate Financial Modeling” — and has done research on gambling, government oversight and debt rackets. He earned his bachelor’s degree in applied math and cognitive science at the University of California, San Diego, before earning his master’s degree in operations research and Ph.D. in economics from Stanford.

The Daily has reached out to DeMarzo for comment.

Stanford Provost Jenny Martinez told the Stanford Report that DeMarzo “will provide important continuity for the school during this transition.”

“We are grateful for him to be willing to accept this responsibility,” she wrote.

Along with the Edith M. Cornell Professor of Political Economy Neil Malhotra M.A. ’05 Ph.D. ’08, Martinez will co-chair the search committee for the next GSB dean. The committee will also include GSB faculty, students and alumni. 

The search committee will reach out to groups in the GSB community over the coming weeks for input and nominations. 

Oriana Riley ’25 is a News Managing Editor at The Daily. Every once in a while, she drops an iconic Campus Life article. Outside of The Daily, Oriana enjoys running a lot of miles and eating a lot of food. Contact Oriana at news ‘at’ stanforddaily.com.