Protestors enter engineering building

Demonstrators entered Building 570, a mechanical engineering building where students were present, as part of a march on Monday. Demonstrators vandalized the building’s interior and attempted to construct barricades, according to remarks made at Thursday’s Faculty Senate meeting by President Richard Saller.

The University and Stanford’s Department of Public Safety (SUDPS) started an investigation into the event. 

Individuals found to be responsible for Monday’s events “will face immediate suspension and the inability to participate in Commencement based on the president’s authority in cases of threats to community safety,” Saller said.

Once inside the engineering building, the demonstrators blocked entryways with constructed barricades and the building’s furniture. They also used spray paint to vandalize an interior wall and door. 

According to Saller’s remarks, students working in the labs were “frightened by the intrusion and concerned for their research and lab equipment as well as their personal safety.” 

Saller added that a faculty member whose lab is in the building shared that “research in that lab was sensitive and dangerous to those unfamiliar with the safe operation of the equipment.”

Mechanical engineering buildings have been placed on card-reader access, according to a Thursday email from Giselle Flores Martin, Director of Finance and Operations at the School of Engineering, reviewed by The Daily.

Last Friday, the Sit-In to Stop Genocide’s Instagram account announced a Monday protest in White Plaza. Most on-campus protests so far have been peaceful, despite violating University policies. Multiple instances of graffiti on University structures, however, have been reported

The Daily has reached out to the University and SUDPS for comment. 

Oriana Riley ’25 is a News Managing Editor at The Daily. Every once in a while, she drops an iconic Campus Life article. Outside of The Daily, Oriana enjoys running a lot of miles and eating a lot of food. Contact Oriana at news ‘at’ stanforddaily.com.