Rating CoHo sweet treats

This article is a review and includes subjective thoughts, opinions and critiques.

Located at the center of campus, Coffee House, more affectionately known as CoHo, is a popular spot for students. The cozy café hosts open mic nights, features interesting art and serves as a laid back place to study. 

However, beyond serving up good vibes and drinks, CoHo boasts an impressive pastry selection. Though I’m only a frosh, CoHo’s display case of delicious delights has been on my radar since NSO, and I’ve had almost everything they’ve had to offer. For those who haven’t yet had a chance to do the same, I’ve decided to rate some of my CoHo experiences: 

Croissant donut: 10/10

With the general internet croissant craze, featuring new creations such as the croissant cube, croffle, cookie croissant and so much more, the cronut at CoHo is a perfect place to start. The pastry is a must-try for donut, croissant or pastry lovers alike. Not too sweet and it has lots of fun layers. Flaky and very enjoyable to eat.

Cherry danish: 7/10

Seeing the bright red of the cherry jam and the whiteness of the powdered sugar on the surrounding crust is my favorite color combination when I’m feeling nostalgic. As a lover of Costco’s bakery danishes, the cherry danish at CoHo was something that I can’t pass up. Undoubtedly delightful and delicious, it’s an upgraded, and much more beautiful, version of its Costco counterpart. When it comes to this danish, the answer is always yes!

Ube mochi: 7/10

The process of eating this mochi is as fun for me as the taste itself. Sometimes, I feel like cutting it and eating it with a knife and fork. Sometimes, I just like biting into it. The texture is delightfully chewy; it’s not too sweet or overpowering. I had never even heard of this combination before CoHo, but once I saw the purple pastry, I knew I had to try it. Admittedly, the ube flavor is quite average, but it’s a nice pick-me-up on a slumpy day and a fun snack to fuel your p-set grind. Don’t come expecting a real ube flavor, but it’s a personal favorite nonetheless.

Ube and matcha donuts: 6/10

As a donut enthusiast, whenever I see donuts, I get really excited. Unfortunately, the CoHo ube and matcha donuts let me down. It’s a donut, but the matcha and ube flavors are questionable and lacking. For general consumption, the donuts are okay, but you’ll never catch me ordering one at the counter, either.

Gluten free almond cake: 8/10

Delightfully moist, a good almond flavor and a wonderful option for the gluten-free people out there. I’m a fan whenever I’m in the mood for a nice bite of cake.

Big croissant: 8/10

When I saw CoHo’s croissants for the first time, my inner child started jumping for joy. The croissants here are massive and delightfully fun to eat too! You can’t go wrong with CoHo’s croissants, which are the perfect buddy for their drink menu and much better than the dining hall’s (which are disappointingly never quite up to par). Flaky, full of layers and absolutely gigantic, they’re a staple that CoHo does super well.

Sonnet Xu ’27 is an Arts & Life columnist for The Daily. Contact her at sonnet 'at' stanford.edu