FLiCKS ‘Get Out’ Screening

June 2, 2024, 6:09 p.m.

Spoiler warning: This article contains spoilers for “Get Out” (2017).

Last Sunday, FLiCKS returned to CEMEX with a screening of Jordan Peele’s debut horror film “Get Out” (2017), the second-to-last show of this quarter.

Before entering the auditorium, students were greeted with customary drinks (both alcoholic and non-alcoholic) and attendees stamping their cards. Those who bought Stanford underwear merch from “The Social Network” screening could also pick them up. 

While the past three FLiCKS screenings (“Saltburn”, “The Social Network” and “Pitch Perfect” ) were accompanied by light-hearted stunts on stage and audience commentary, the “Get Out” screening didn’t have any gimmicks. Save for the two strands of toilet paper thrown from the balcony and a solitary paper airplane, the audience seemed focused on taking in the film itself.

Still, the audience added some communal reactions. During two jump scares in the movie, one audience member gave a delayed scream, causing laughs. Although this was the first time this quarter that FLiCKS screened a horror movie, the audience retained its lightheartedness throughout the event. During the film’s more emotionally intense moments, people’s giggling overtook the movie’s original tone.

“Get Out” follows photographer Chris (Daniel Kaluuya) as his girlfriend Rose (Allison Williams) brings him home to meet her family who, beyond the many microaggressive comments, turn out to lead an operation that auctions Black people’s bodies for their wealthy white friends’ minds to inhabit. 

When Chris eventually escapes the mansion in which he was imprisoned and kills his captors, the audience cheered, especially loud after the death of Rose, left to die on the road like the deer seen in the film’s opening sequence, and the arrival of Chris’s best friend, Rod (Lil Rel Howery), to rescue Chris from the scene. 

FLiCKS will have its last screening of “The Graduate” Sunday, June 2, an end-of-year tradition lasting 40 years. The “In the Cards” email encourages seniors to wear their stoll and advertises its usual free snacks and drinks in addition to student performances.

Emma Kexin Wang '24 is a Arts & Life staff writer, and Screen columnist for vol. 264 and vol. 265. She greatly enjoys horror and Ghibli movies. Contact her at ekwang 'at' stanford.edu.