Former Duke guard Jaylen Blakes commits to Stanford

June 2, 2024, 11:00 a.m.

Former Duke men’s basketball guard Jaylen Blakes has committed to Stanford, according to a press release by the university on Friday. Blakes is the first graduate transfer during Kyle Smith’s tenure on the Farm.

“Adding Jaylen Blakes to our team enhances us on many levels. He will provide us with athleticism and experience in the backcourt,” said Smith. “Offensively he has the ability to score and distribute by getting paint touches with his strength and quickness, while also keeping defenses honest with the ability to knock down 3-pointers.”

Blakes appeared in 83 games for the Blue Devils, averaging 2.2 points and 1.0 rebounds per game. He was one of the team’s top defensive players last season.

“Defensively, Jaylen gives us a defender with a pit bull mentality,” Smith said. “He has the ability to guard the ball which is vital to setting any defense. His knowledge and experience of the league will be helpful as we transition into the ACC.”

Blakes was ranked among the top players in the state of New Jersey for the 2021 high school class by a plethora of recruiting services. 

The six-foot-two guard is now the fourth player to transfer to the Farm this offseason.

Kaushik Sampath is the sports managing editor. He is a junior from Fayetteville, Arkansas and a history major. You can catch him watching and ranting about his beloved Arkansas Razorbacks or hanging out with friends on campus. Contact him at sports 'at' stanforddaily.com.