Live updates: Police detain pro-Palestine protesters who took over president’s office

Daily reporter among those detained

June 5, 2024, 7:19 a.m.

Pro-Palestine protesters entered and barricaded themselves inside Building 10, the president’s office, located in Main Quad, at 5:30 a.m. Wednesday morning, which marks Stanford’s last day of classes for spring quarter. Live updates were published here until protestors were arrested and removed from the premises by police. Read The Daily’s latest coverage here.

8:19 a.m. According to an AlertSU, 13 individuals, including a Daily reporter covering the protest, were arrested and Building 10 has been secured by SUDPS. There has been “extensive damage” to the interior and exterior of the building, according to the email. There will be no entry for the remainder of the day.

8:15 a.m. Protesters were loaded into vans and are being taken to the SUDPS station. A Daily reporter is handcuffed with zip ties and is among those in the vehicles.

7:55 a.m. Two more police vans arrived from the Sheriff’s Office and SUDPS. Social media posts from protestors alleged that someone was pinned down by police. Individuals who spoke with The Daily as they exited the building could not confirm or deny this information.

7:45 a.m. Protestors were escorted to a truck.

7:40 a.m. Protestors were escorted out of the building by police to enter a truck. A Daily reporter was among those detained.

7:35 a.m. Police from the Santa Clara Sheriff’s Office and SUDPS entered the building and started to arrest protestors.

7:30 a.m. An AlertSU was sent to Stanford community members. The Stanford Department of Public Safety (SUDPS) wrote in the alert that the students unlawfully entered Building 10. They did not provide additional details on SUDPS’s response. According to the alert, no other campus operations were affected, but they advised individuals who work in Buildings 1 and 20 in Main Quad to stay away from the area.

7:20 a.m. Police opened a door with a crowbar and entered the building.

Some protestors outside spray painted “Kill cops” and “the resistance” on the ground. Janitorial staffers started to power wash the spray paint before 7 a.m. A protestor who spoke on the condition of anonymity told The Daily the spray painting was not planned by organizers.

7:15 a.m. Police officers broke a glass window while preparing to enter the president’s office, which has been locked with bike chains and zip ties. Around 10 students are barricaded in the building, while about 50 others surrounded the building with linked arms.

Students inside prepare to be arrested. No administrators or staffers were present when protestors entered.

Dilan Gohill ’27 is the Vol. 265 student activism beat reporter and a news staff writer. He is from Santa Monica, CA and enjoys avocado toast and listening to Lorde. Contact him at dilan 'at' stanforddaily.comGreta Reich '26 is the vol. 265 co-Magazine editor, University desk editor for News, staff writer and copy editor for The Daily. She is studying Political Science and Communication and can almost always be found at CoHo. Contact her at greich 'at' stanforddaily.com.Kaushikee Nayudu '24 is The Daily's Editor in Chief. Contact her at knayudu ‘at’ stanforddaily.com.Emma Talley is the Vol. 265 Executive Editor. Previously, she was the Vol. 261 Editor in Chief. She is from Sacramento, California, and has previously worked as a two-time news editor and the newsroom development director. Emma has reported with the San Francisco Chronicle with the metro team covering breaking news and K-12 education. Contact her at etalley 'at' stanforddaily.com.