Listen to Sabrina Carpenter’s ‘Short n’ Sweet’ ascend to the top

Published Aug. 20, 2024, 11:45 p.m., last updated Sept. 1, 2024, 10:02 p.m.

Sabrina Carpenter has taken the pop music scene by storm. With fans singing along to tracks like “Feather” in their bedrooms and screaming to her major music festival performances, the Disney Channel actress-turned-singer has risen to prominence for her catchy melodies and witty lyricism.

Riding a wave of popularity, the 25-year-old is set to release her sixth studio album, “Short n’ Sweet,” on Aug. 23. 

In anticipation of her upcoming album, Carpenter released singles “Espresso” and “Please Please Please” in April and June, respectively. Both tracks offer a remarkable blend of introspective storytelling, youthful exuberance and unapologetic boldness, with “Please Please Please” scoring Carpenter her first-ever No. 1 spot on Billboard’s Hot 100. Given the success of these singles — along with their stunning musical quality — the “Short n’ Sweet” drop is highly anticipated. 

The powerful, feminine delivery and bright summer vibes of the two tracks give a taste of what fans can expect from the artist’s sixth album. “Espresso,” which quickly climbed to No. 1 on the Global Spotify Charts upon its release, was dubbed the ultimate song of the summer, and for good reason. To me, listening to “Espresso” feels like relaxing on the beach on a summer day, energized by my friends’ company and an iced coffee. It’s bubbly and playful, but not overwhelmingly flashy. With lyrics like “walked in and dream-came-trued for ya,” the single exudes confidence, inspiring listeners not only to enjoy Carpenter’s musicality but also to embrace themselves. 

Carpenter channels a similarly assertive attitude in “Please Please Please.” The slightly more subdued track brings in a more soulful sound, unlike “Espresso.” The lyrics portray the frustration of having to deal with constant criticism in a relationship scrutinized under the public eye. In the song, she even proposes that her partner “just stay inside” because “we could live so happily if no one knows that you’re with me,” demonstrating the exhaustion of maintaining a personal life as a celebrity. Carpenter’s undeniable confidence and optimism, in addition to the track’s catchy production, make the song an essential in my feel-good summer playlist.

“Short n’ Sweet” promises to feature much of the same positive, carefree tone as “Espresso” and “Please Please Please.” Even the background music of those two tracks is well-produced to complement the singer’s voice and promote a soft, flowy ambiance while conveying glee. I hope the airy, feminine quality of Carpenter’s singing in these songs carries through the whole album.

One of the other greatest strengths of Carpenter’s music is her conversational rhythm and melodies. The line “I’m working late ‘cause I’m a singer,” which propelled “Espresso’s” popularity on social media, is a prime example. The simple tune rolls off the tongue. It is almost impossible to avoid singing it to yourself again and again.

Furthermore, the confidence in “Short n’ Sweet’s” released singles demonstrates the magnetic persona that Carpenter has cultivated for herself. During her first time performing at the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival on Apr. 12, she freestyled the outro of her song “Nonsense” to declare, “Coachella, see you back here when I headline.” Her lyrics also reference her iconic online presence. In the chorus of “Espresso,” Carpenter sings, “don’t bring me to tears when I just did my makeup so nice,” a nod to her viral TikTok advice on how to cry without ruining one’s makeup.

With all the hype surrounding “Espresso” and “Please Please Please,” “Short n’ Sweet” could be Carpenter’s greatest record yet. Her infectious confidence and relatable lyrics have proven her successful evolution from Disney star to a lasting force in the pop industry. The success of her singles shows that Carpenter isn’t just following trends; she is setting them.

Editor’s Note: This article is a review and includes subjective thoughts, opinions and critiques.

Sofia Schubert is a writer in The Daily's high school journalism workshop. Contact workshops 'at' stanforddaily.com.Vivienne Wan is a writer in The Daily's high school journalism workshop. Contact workshops 'at' stanforddaily.com.