‘A Good Girl’s Guide’ checks all the boxes for a cozy murder mystery

Five years ago, a girl vanished without a trace. Everyone knew it was her boyfriend who killed her — his confession and body were found in the woods after a suicide driven by guilt. It’s a closed case. Or is it?

Netflix drama series “A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder,” a 6-episode adaptation of the bestselling novel by Holly Jackson, is an entertaining blend of exhilarating plot twists and heartwarming friendships, despite the show’s slow start and the characters’ questionable decisionmaking.

Released on the streaming platform on Aug. 1, the show features 22-year-old Emma Myers as Pippa Fitz-Amobi, a schoolgirl in a small English town who decides to do her Extended Project Qualification (an optional research project for British secondary school students) on the closed murder case of Andie Bell (India Lillie Davies). Andie went missing five years ago, and investigators claimed her boyfriend Sal Singh (Rahul Pattni), who allegedly confessed and committed suicide, was guilty. 

However, Pip is not convinced. She teams up with Ravi Singh (Zain Iqbal), Sal’s younger brother, and together they piece together the truth.

Myers does an impressive job playing the role of Pip: the American actress maintained a reasonable British accent and believable acting. I got through the show without cringing at a single overexaggerated line, reused gesture or monotonous speech. This may be a low bar, but somehow it isn’t always met, especially in shows aimed at a young adult audience. Myers mastered Pip’s game face, playing the quirky detective with a perfect balance of wit and smart problem-solving skills.

Yet for all her cleverness, the character Pip often lacked common sense and caution, repeatedly putting herself in risky situations. While it doesn’t get her in too much trouble, these blatantly unwise choices repeatedly remind the viewer that the show is fiction. For example, Pip directly confronts murder suspects alone and reveals all of her information to them upfront. Her phone is inconveniently out of sight while searching, not very subtly, through the murder victim’s belongings, making her miss critical warning messages and nearly get caught red-handed. Furthermore, the distinctive red car she drives when on the case is a ludicrous choice while scoping key locations. 

On the other hand, you’ve got to admire Pip’s guts and determination. She is still young, and were she already a skilled and careful detective, the show would have been very boring. Pip’s trademark curiosity and persistence are what makes the show what it is.

One of the show’s high points is the genuine friendship between Pip and Cara Ward (Asha Banks), Pip’s long-time best friend. Their interactions are natural and reflect how well the characters know each other. Cara always demonstrates understanding when Pip had to go somewhere, and Pip fits in comfortably with the rest of Cara’s family. Most of all, their relationship isn’t perfect, which is what made it even more realistic. Pip goes against Cara’s wishes when she interviews her older sister Naomi, and Cara secretly tracks Pip’s location even though Pip doesn’t share it with anyone. In spite of or because of these small hiccups, the girls’ sincere friendship is charming to watch, inviting the viewer to become more invested in the show. 

I also enjoyed watching the relationship between Pip and Ravi progress over the course of the show, as the pair bond over marshmallows and make dashing escapes together from places they’re not supposed to be. Strangers who grow close throughout the season, the two characters make a dynamic duo, even if their connection did not resonate as strongly with me as that between Pip and Cara. 

Despite the show’s engaging characters, the pace of the plot is on the slower end. The first episodes aren’t immediately gripping, and I felt there were missed opportunities for cliffhangers to keep the viewer engaged. Instead of being on the edge of my seat and eager to continue watching the rest of the series, I was comfortably sitting back at the end of each 40-minute episode, waiting for something more thrilling to happen. Individual scenes sometimes goes on for too long or repeat themselves, which derailed my interest. Having read the book, I had faith in there ultimately being some interesting twists and was excited for the rest of my family to experience the shock when learning the truth just as I had. However, the beginning episodes did not deliver the level of thrill and mystery I was hoping for.

The show’s most redeeming quality is its conclusion. The plot twists in the last two episodes specifically are compelling and unexpected, provoking vigorous speculations as I tried to solve the case.

All in all, the show approaches a comforting and familiar genre with a little bit of thrill and was good enough for me to finish in a few nights. The series wrapped up nicely, tying together the final pieces of the case and leaving me eager for another season. 

Editor’s Note: This article is a review and includes subjective thoughts, opinions and critiques.

Vivienne Wan is a writer in The Daily's high school journalism workshop. Contact workshops 'at' stanforddaily.com.