Gracie Abrams unpacks guilt and growth in ‘The Secret of Us’

Published Sept. 3, 2024, 9:43 p.m., last updated Sept. 3, 2024, 9:43 p.m.

Since opening for Taylor Swift’s Eras Tour, Gracie Abrams’ streams and popularity have been rising.

Following the release of her hit debut album “Good Riddance” in 2023, the singer-songwriter returned with her highly anticipated second album, “The Secret of Us,” on June 21. The record is a beautiful exploration of heartbreak, guilt and vulnerablilities that are challenging to openly discuss.

“The Secret of Us” debuted at No. 2 on the Billboard 200 — second only to Taylor Swift’s “The Tortured Poets Department” — and reached number one on the U.K. Albums Chart. The album consists of 13 songs in which Abrams unpacks a variety of complex emotions, from difficult past relationships to personal growth.

The opening track, “Felt Good About You,” explores the feelings of navigating a broken relationship or damaged friendship. Lyrics like “Felt good about you, ’til I didn’t” capture the shift from joy to disillusionment, while “Can’t believe the way we landed, fallin’ through” reflects the relationship’s unexpected downfall. The song’s melancholic chords and introspective lyrics convey the sadness of a fading connection, making the listener feel the weight of two people that lost their spark.

The next song, “Risk,” which was released as a single on May 1, stands out as an exploration of vulnerability and uncertainty in love. The lyrics, “God, I’m actually invested, haven’t even met him,” highlight the emotional risk of developing feelings for someone new. Abrams touches on the fear and excitement that come with taking a chance on love, making “Risk” a particularly relatable and powerful track. The song captures the tension between hope and doubt, a theme that resonates with anyone who has ever risked their heart on the unknown.

“Let It Happen,” the album’s sixth track, similarly delves into the uncertainty of entering a new relationship and the challenge of letting go to fully embrace the experience. The lyrics blend vulnerability and hope, with Abrams reflecting on the struggles and rewards of opening up. The song starts gently and introspectively, gradually evolving into a more confident expression of self-love and acceptance.

One of the most compelling aspects of the album is how Abrams revisits and develops themes from her earlier work, showcasing her growth as an artist. Track four is titled “I Love You, I’m Sorry,” a reference to her number one most streamed song, “I Miss you, I’m Sorry,” from her debut EP “Minor” in 2020. In “I Miss You, I’m Sorry,” Abrams reflects on old times from a past relationship and admits that, despite knowing it’s wrong, she still misses her partner. But in “I Love You, I’m Sorry,” she sings, “that’s just the way life goes” — even though the relationship was difficult, she has accepted her loss as inevitable.

“The Secret of Us” also sees Abrams collaborating with one of her role models, Taylor Swift, for the first time. The hit song “us (feat. Taylor Swift)” reflects on a past relationship that ended without closure. The song’s lyrics feature the album’s title, “The Secret of Us,” and poetically ties the whole record together.

In contrast to the album’s more melancholy tracks, fan favorite song “Free Now” captures how feelings of liberation and relief can follow the end of a troubled relationship. The lyrics reflect Abrams’ journey towards emotional freedom, addressing the process of letting go and moving on from past pain, as the title suggests.

“Close to You” is a powerful finale to “The Secret of Us,” resonating deeply with listeners by giving voice to relatable, unspoken emotions. Unlike other tracks on the album, which reflect on past relationships, it focuses on the desire to be closer to someone. Released after “Risk” as a hit single, it features lyrics like “I burn for you, and you don’t even know my name,” capturing the intensity of these hidden feelings. The song has gained significant popularity and has become one of the most beloved tracks on the album.

With its emotional depth and relatable themes, “The Secret of Us” has already become one of my favorite albums of the year. It is a moving collection featuring some of Abrams’ best lyrics to date, leaving listeners feeling empowered to understand their emotions, let go of past pain and grow.

Editor’s Note: This article is a review and includes subjective thoughts, opinions and critiques.

Anshika is a writer in The Daily's high school journalism workshop. Contact workshops 'at' stanforddaily.com.