Seven spots to stay cool on campus this summer

Published Sept. 13, 2024, 11:50 p.m., last updated Sept. 13, 2024, 11:50 p.m.

Summer is ending, but heat waves resurged. Here are seven best places to cool off on campus, according to Stanford students.

1. CoHo

CoHo, short for Coffee House, has long been a student-favorite with its great indoor and outdoor seating. Shaded tables outside the cafe provide a place to chat, free from the scorching sun. Inside the cafe, wooden tables, cozy couches and plush armchairs create a comfy atmosphere to get work done.

“To study somewhere other than my dorm or the library, I would head to CoHo,” said Cameron Duran ’24.

CoHo serves a range of food and drinks, including coffee and tea, pastries and entrées. According to George Porteous ’27, the ube donut is a fan favorite and pairs well with the horchata latte. What better way to cool off than drinking a cold latte while sitting in a soft armchair?

2. Green Library

Green Library is a quieter environment with comfortable seating. The library is air-conditioned, ensuring you can cool down and relax. This makes it an ideal place to study or work.

“Green Library is just amazing,” Duran said. “It’s like the perfect college library.”

An especially great place to relax is the Bender Room. Located on the fifth floor of the library, it has a spectacular view of nearby buildings and is always extremely quiet.

3. Stanford Shopping Center

The Stanford Shopping Center offers a myriad of options to shop and dine while staying cool. The air-conditioned shops include Macy’s, Chipotle Mexican Grill, Lululemon and many more. Each Stanford student has their favorite.

“I’m a Pinkberry fan. Original tart is the best,” said Noah Goldsmith ’27.

The center’s many shaded benches surrounded by flowers allow for a break from shopping. The area has broad walkways, while the clean, straight lines of the buildings give the outdoor mall a modern look.

4. Arrillaga Outdoor Education and Recreation Center

The Arrillaga Outdoor Education and Recreation Center, more commonly known as “Farrillaga,” is located on west campus and features a gym, a basketball court, a rock climbing area and a swimming pool. Goldsmith said the facilities are great.

“I’ve played basketball there a couple times,” he added. “They have an awesome rock climbing wall.”

All of the indoor areas are air-conditioned and spacious. Taking a dip in the outdoor swimming pool is a great way to have fun while feeling refreshed.

5. Cantor Arts Center

The Cantor Arts Center offers an interesting and sometimes thought-provoking selection of art pieces. These range from modern abstract artist TT Takemoto’s “Remembering in the Absence of Memory” to sculptures from the late Renaissance through the 1900s.

“I like how they have rotating exhibits pretty often,” said Duran.

The Cantor also hosts a cafe called Tootsie’s, which serves sandwiches, salads and cold beverages. The building is air-conditioned to keep the summer heat from getting to you.

6. Windhover Contemplative Center

Windhover is a beautiful meditation center and a calming place to take a break from the everyday hustle and bustle. The center was built as a sanctuary for Stanford community members to de-stress and recenter themselves.

“It is completely silent when you walk in, so I think it’s just a great place to get away from the busyness that can be Stanford’s campus,” said Lauren Tapper ’27.

To maintain a quiet and peaceful environment, the center asks visitors to keep the area technology free. Outdoors, many trees, plants and small bodies of water blend with the modern architecture to create a serene atmosphere.

7. Shumway Red Hoop Fountain

Fountain hopping is the quintessential Stanford summer tradition. Built in the 1980s, the Shumway Red Hoop Fountain is a large fountain located right outside of Green Library by Coupa Cafe. As its name suggests, the iconic fountain is shaped like a large red hoop. It is open for swimming, so you can cool off while splashing around in the water.

“It’s such a classic fountain hopping place for Stanford students, so you see people in there taking a break from studying from the hot weather all the time,” Tapper said.

Just outside the steps leading into the fountain, a tree-shaded lawn makes for a perfect place to have a picnic or read a book, while sipping on a drink from Coupa Cafe.

Editor’s Note: This article is a review and includes subjective thoughts, opinions and critiques.