Latvian forward Kristers Skrinda signs with Stanford men’s basketball

Published Sept. 27, 2024, 11:00 p.m., last updated Sept. 27, 2024, 11:00 p.m.

Stanford men’s basketball landed a commitment from 18-year-old Latvian forward Kristers Skrinda on Friday. Skrinda is the team’s first commit of the 2025 recruiting class. 

The forward, standing at six-foot-ten, currently plays in the Latvian Estonian Basketball League and has been a standout for the Latvian national youth teams in recent years.

Skrinda’s most recent success came with the Latvian U18 National Team at the 2024 European Championship, where he averaged 18 points, 10 rebounds and two assists over a seven-game span on 44% shooting from three and 96% shooting from the free throw line. Despite Latvia’s poor performance at the event, the player cemented his reputation as a top young player on the European stage.

In addition to his international achievements, Skrinda has excelled in domestic leagues. He was a key player for Riga/DSN in the Latvian U19 Championship, a tournament for players under the age of 19 where his 21 points, eight rebounds and four assists per game earned him a spot on the All-Star Five, which is reserved for the most promising Latvian players. Skrinda also claimed a silver medal in the Latvian Basketball League (LBL) and has previously been named the MVP of the Latvian U17 finals.

With a proven track record in both Latvian and European competitions, Skrinda represents a significant addition to Stanford’s 2025 class, and his signing is an early result in the Cardinal’s revamped strategy of targeting more international prospects to strengthen the roster.

JOIN THE STANFORD DAILY

Priority application deadline
Saturday, October 5th