Defensive lineman Clay Patterson demonstrates Stanford’s evolution in college athletics

Published Sept. 27, 2024, 10:52 p.m., last updated Sept. 27, 2024, 10:53 p.m.

After a season where they ranked second-to-last nationally in total defense, Stanford football (2-1, 1-0 ACC) knew they needed all the help they could get. While the transfer portal is usually not an option for Stanford to bolster their roster, the Cardinal added three defensive transfers to the fold, including graduate defensive lineman Clay Patterson, this off-season.

Patterson, who played four seasons at Yale, was a three-time all-Ivy selection and is tied for second all-time in Yale football history for sacks at 22.5. But Patterson’s road to Stanford was not as straightforward as some others. After committing to Illinois back in December, Patterson backed off his commitment to the Fighting Illini and instead opted to play in Las Vegas at UNLV. But the 6-foot-3 player decided to change his mind twice, making the trek up to California to play for Stanford in his last year of eligibility.

“I just thought it was in my best interest to enter the transfer portal,” Patterson said. “Stanford happened to be an option and it was an easy choice from there.”

Patterson and the rest of the defensive line have played a big part in Stanford’s improvement this season, as the Cardinal rank third in the FBS in rushing defense. But in last week’s game against Syracuse, the Cardinal also displayed signs of generating a pass rush — tallying four sacks in the game.

As for Patterson himself, despite being in the middle of some big plays, including a recovered fumble against TCU, he is still not satisfied with his performance this year.

“I have a lot of room for growth,” he said. “I feel like we have a lot of goals that we want to achieve this year, and we just got to keep getting better — including myself.”

The jump to the power conference level is always challenging for non-power conference transfers, but Patterson’s consistent role in the defensive line rotation indicates that he can withstand the additional challenge.

“I think the Ivy League is a really good competitive league,” Patterson said. “Obviously, when you come to this level, it’s the top level in college football. There is going to be better talent that you’re facing.”

Beyond his performance on the field, Patterson represents a shift in Stanford athletics as they evolve with the landscape of college athletics. The athletic department began efforts to increase student athletes’ access to postbaccalaureate opportunities. This would allow the Cardinal to increase its activity in the transfer portal in future seasons. Patterson is a prime example. A non-degree seeking student, he is only taking classes in entrepreneurship, business and finance at Stanford. 

Patterson’s former team, the UNLV Rebels, made headlines with a dispute between starting quarterback Matthew Sluka and the school’s NIL collective. The conflict led to Sluka’s decision to redshirt the rest of the year. Patterson declined to comment on the matter.

As Stanford gears up for its most challenging game yet in Death Valley, the Cardinal’s defense will need to prove its worth against a Clemson offense that has catapulted itself into one of the top units in the nation. But for Patterson, the Cardinal’s path to continued success is simple.

“I think it just starts with everyone doing their job,” Patterson said. “Coach [Bobby] April has a good scheme, and it’s just all about execution at that point. We’ve been executing well.”

Mason Harris is a writer for Sports. Contact sports 'at' stanforddaily.com.

JOIN THE STANFORD DAILY

Priority application deadline
Saturday, October 5th