Coach’s Notebook: Ashton Daniels and Jaivion Green ruled questionable against Virginia Tech, secondary could see a shakeup

Published Oct. 1, 2024, 11:06 p.m., last updated Oct. 1, 2024, 11:06 p.m.

On Tuesday, Stanford football head coach Troy Taylor spoke at a weekly press conference prior to Saturday’s home game against Virginia Tech.

Injury updates

Taylor revealed the injury statuses of junior quarterback Ashton Daniels and junior safety Jay Green, who both left last Saturday’s game against Clemson and did not return. 

Taylor said Daniels may be ready to play Saturday, depending on how much he improves over the week’s practices. Taylor also noted that if Daniels does not play, it would not significantly affect Stanford’s playbook. He expressed confidence in backup junior quarterback Justin Lamson. 

On the defensive side of the ball, Taylor told the media that Green’s status remains questionable for Saturday’s game. Taylor revealed that junior outside linebacker David Bailey has been facing a physical limitation the past few weeks. Despite playing well early in the season, Bailey has been receiving less snaps week-over-week. However, Taylor said he believes Bailey was close to being fully ready for the game against the Hokies.

Secondary Depth

A challenge Stanford has faced this season, especially in last Saturday’s matchup against Clemson, is its secondary and pass defense. The Clemson offense tallied 255 passing yards and 4 passing touchdowns through the air last Saturday. Taylor did not give any confirmation when asked about any potential changes to the secondary.

“No position [is] set in stone,” Taylor said. “We know we have got to improve.” 

“When you’re playing man coverage, you’re gonna be on an island,” Taylor said. “With Zahran [Manley], he was in really good position on some of the pass interference calls. He just made some contact”

Taylor also said it’s key to limit big plays and get more pressure on the opposing quarterback for the Stanford defense. With Hokies quarterback Kyron Drones on deck, Stanford’s pass defense will once again be tested on Saturday.

Offensive Line Solidifying

When the season began, many observers did not expect the Stanford offensive line to eventually consist of three underclassmen, with only one senior at center. Despite some early struggles, Taylor praised the offensive line and in particular, its success with third-down protection. He also said the youth of the offensive line gives him hope in the unit down the road.

“That’s why I’m so excited about our future,” Taylor said. “We’re still young.”

JOIN THE STANFORD DAILY

Priority application deadline
Saturday, October 5th