‘Civil War’ warns us against defying democracy

Published Oct. 27, 2024, 11:32 p.m., last updated Oct. 27, 2024, 11:33 p.m.

A24’s dystopian thriller “Civil War” depicts a group of journalists traversing a war-torn Northeast America to reach the Capitol and interview the president before he is assassinated. However, shrouded behind the struggle, violence and photojournalism, the film advances a central truth that we should keep in mind as the election season draws near: Denying the constitutional ideals that have been the cornerstone of our country will result in the end of American democracy as we know it.

In the movie, the cause of the war is never explicitly stated. In fact, “Civil War,” despite its title, is not actually about war. It’s about photojournalists — what it means to seek the truth and about what living in a war is like for all those who do not fight in it. Nevertheless, the impetus of the war is — even if not actively stated — heavily implied in dialogue. 

Sammy, a seasoned journalist, jokes with fellow journalist Joel that he should ask the president if he “regret[s] any actions implemented during [his] third term in office” or if “it was wise to disband the FBI.” These rhetorical questions paint a clear picture of the country’s past: In their America, the president defied the Constitution and clung to power, dismissing anyone who stood in his way. 

While nothing so egregious as an unconstitutional third term has happened in our America, we can see some parallels to recent events. On Jan. 6, 2021, a mob of Trump supporters descended on the Capitol in an attempt to subvert the democratic process and prevent then-Vice President Mike Pence from certifying Joe Biden’s victory. Though unsuccessful, three years later, former President Trump claimed on comedian Andrew Schulz’s podcast that he wished Pence “would have had the stamina, maybe courage and maybe both to go further.” 

The implication here is clear. Going “further” would’ve meant disregarding the election results and keeping President Trump in power for another term unconstitutionally. 

Sounds familiar? 

The storming of the Capitol holds the strongest parallel to “Civil War,” but it isn’t the only similarity. Other scenes reflect the dangerous end goal to some of the anti-immigrant rhetoric prominent in our increasingly polarized America. 

In one instance in the movie, a militia leader (Jesse Plemons) loyal to the United States — and, by proxy, the president — murders two Chinese journalists over the simple fact that they are not from America. The militia leader is disgusted by the immigrants that have, in his eyes, ruined the country, and very nearly executes the American journalists too, as he does not view them as patriotic enough. It’s arguably the most tense scene in the movie. Yet, it’s not just his guns that are scary — it’s his ideology. 

How often have we heard from certain politicians that immigrants are taking our jobs, flooding our prisons, hell, even eating our pets? What would happen if someone who whole-heartedly blames immigrants for destroying America gets backed by the U.S. government and armed with an entire militia’s worth of weaponry? “Civil War” answers that question, and it’s not pretty. Unlike some other dystopian movies that dance around real-life parallels, “Civil War” digs deep into the danger of allowing prominent far-right ideologies rooted in fear, hatred and anti-democratic values to take over our country.

Luckily, if “Civil War” is to be believed, there is hope for us. The America of today may be increasingly partisan, with congressional gridlock stagnating progress and the most conservative Supreme Court in nearly a century, but it does not have to be like this. Even in the far more extremist America portrayed by “Civil War,” we see Texans and Californians, notoriously on opposite sides of the political spectrum, working together to defy the president’s fascist rule. It shows us that the party system is not rigid, and that very distinct people can put aside their differences for a common good. 

As long as we continue to reach across the political aisle and actively fight against extremism in all its forms, we will prevent America from descending into the dystopia of “Civil War” and forge a country we can all be proud of.

Editor’s Note: This article is a review and includes subjective thoughts, opinions and critiques.