Thursday, April 18th, 2024
Search
Logo

Photos | Colors of the City

On Oct. 24, San Francisco faced its first full rainy day of the fall season. Although gray lined the clouds and skyline, the city itself still had bursts of color.

I chose to capture the bright colors of San Francisco because I feel as though there can sometimes be a perception that cities are monotone blocks of buildings that all blend together, with only their size to differentiate them. That is far from the case. Cities, especially San Francisco, are bursting with color. Whether that’s clothing, street art, light or simply the lines on the sidewalk, there is always color.

This project focuses on readjusting our perceptions of cities and encouraging people to focus on the vibrant colors cities provide.

Part of San Francisco’s skyline scrapes against the grey sky. Coit tower stands tall amongst the rest of the seemingly grey, monotone buildings.
Part of San Francisco’s skyline scrapes against the gray sky. Coit tower stands tall among the rest of the seemingly gray, monotone buildings.
A single lamp light shines in front of the PG&E building on Harrison St. The light shines yellow while everything else is pictured grayscale.
A single lamplight shines in front of the PG&E building on Harrison St.
A man attempts to shield himself from the downpour with his yellow poncho. The poncho shines yellow while everything else is pictured grayscale.
A man attempts to shield himself from the downpour with his yellow poncho.
A man with an umbrella looks down the street as the rain rushes down the hill. The umbrella shines yellow while everything else is pictured grayscale.
A man looks down the street as rain rushes down the hill.
An outdoor fire alarm sits on a street corner. The alarm shines red while everything else is pictured grayscale.
An outdoor fire alarm sits on a street corner.
Red lip street art on Via Bufano. The lip shines red while everything else is pictured grayscale.
Red-lip street art on Via Bufano.
A man walks his dog during the storm. The man's jacket shines green while everything else is pictured grayscale.
A man walks his dog during the storm.
A man walks through ChinaTown streets, protecting himself from the rain with an umbrella. The umbrellas shines green while everything else is pictured grayscale.
A man walks through Chinatown streets, protecting himself from the rain.
Character street art lines the walls of Columbus St. The art is colorful while the building behind it is pictured grayscale.
Character street art lines the walls of Columbus St.
An umbrella, broken by the strong winds, sits in a trash can. The umbrellas shines blue while everything else is picture grayscale.
An umbrella, broken by the strong winds, sits in a trash can.
A woman stands in front of Grace Cathedral after walking up the Pride Month steps. The steps and the woman's jacket are colorful while the church is pictured grayscale.
A woman stands in front of Grace Cathedral after walking up the Pride Month steps.
City Hall stands tall amongst surrounding buildings. The street lines shine yellow while everything else is
City Hall stands tall among surrounding buildings.
Victorian houses in front of large skyscrapers. The houses are colorful everything else is pictured grayscale.
Victorian houses contrast the inner city.
A couple walks through the rain together. Their jackets shine red and turquoise while everything else is pictured grayscale.
A couple walks through the rain together.
An adult and a child walks by stores in Chinatown. Their jackets shine blue and green. Their umbrella is purple. Everything else is pictured grayscale.
A family walks by stores in Chinatown.

Photo gallery by Elizabeth van Blommestein. Van Blommestein is a high schooler producing content as a part of the The Stanford Daily’s 2021 High School Multimedia Workshop.