Saturday, June 18th, 2022
Logo

Programs for High Schoolers

Calling All High School Students 

Apply to The Daily’s 8-Week, All-Remote Summer 2022 Journalism, Multimedia, and Tech Workshops!!

Click here to access the application for all three programs

(don’t worry, it’s short!)

Deadline to Apply: Monday, May 23rd at 11:59 p.m. PT.

Join us for our annual 8-week, all-remote Summer Journalism Workshop! We’ll teach high schoolers the fundamentals of journalism through real-world reporting assignments, with opportunities to get their work published on The Stanford Daily’s website as they receive one-on-one guidance from Daily editors in weekly check-in meetings and lessons. 

Participants are not limited to writing and will also be able to work with editors experienced in podcasts, graphics, tech and more. Even if you’ve done a program with us before, you’re sure to learn new skills, encounter new challenges, and ultimately level up your journalistic toolkit! We have all-new content and guest speakers with fresh and exciting perspectives to bring to the table. 

For the first time this year, The Stanford Daily is also offering its 8-week all-remote Tech Bootcamp and 5-week all-remote Multimedia Workshop over the summer, open to high school students interested in gaining in-depth training and experience in web development, podcast, photo and video journalism! Keep reading for more information.

These workshops are open to participants of all skill levels — our editors will work with you at whatever pace you’re comfortable with and get you up to speed regardless of your level of experience.

Journalism Workshop

Over the course of the 8-week journalism workshop, participants will get hands-on experience in the end-to-end process of news reporting, including:

• How to find stories and assess their newsworthiness
  • How to identify and interview sources
  • How to craft well-structured, interesting news pieces
  • How to write breaking news 
  • How to navigate the ethics of community reporting and report on sensitive subjects

In addition to writing, students will have the opportunity to learn multimedia and digital skills ultimately gaining exposure to the complete, real, end-to-end experience of working in journalism. Daily editors will offer guest lectures in some of the following topics: 

• An intro to the growing field of data journalism, including how to craft beautiful data visualizations in Flourish (such as this, this, and this)
  • How to use Figma to create graphics that bring stories to life
  • An intro to multimedia storytelling via podcast, video, and photo journalism
  • An intro to the business side of running a student media organization, including a case simulation and tutorials on tools you can use to manage your operations (i.e. Salesforce, Excel, Airtable, etc.)
  • And more!

Our program gives students the skills that will prepare them for college journalism and up their game in high school as well. Our work is complemented by social activities: We want you to have the opportunity to connect with fellow participants and Daily staffers!

This is a tuition-based program with full and partial need-based aid offered to all accepted applicants under an honor system (see below for more detail).

Participants are assigned to small groups for the duration of the program: around 10 writers with two editors, for a 5:1 participant-to-editor ratio, which allows them to work closely with Daily staffers while getting to know the other participants in the program. 

They’ll be immersed in the program through a dedicated Slack workspace where editors guide participants through their work on a day-to-day basis and participants can get to know each other. This makes it easy for any given participant to get help from a Daily staffer at virtually any time, and for participants to form a network of other high schoolers interested in journalism. 

For the first time this year, we’re also offering our Tech Bootcamp and Multimedia Workshop simultaneously during the Summer Journalism Workshop. This means participants will be able to apply to and participate in these workshops alongside the Summer Journalism Workshop, which can enable cross-collaborative work in journalism tech and multimedia journalism. Cross-collaborative projects could include photo coverage of a feature article, or data visualizations to accompany statistics-based articles. You do NOT need to participate in the Journalism Workshop to participate in the Tech Bootcamp or Multimedia Workshop.

This model prepares participants for college journalism through real work experience.

Each week, participants will attend workshops on different aspects of journalism, led by the program’s managing editors, and they’ll get to participate in live weekly webinars featuring professionals from the field. In the past, speakers have included Stanford professor and former Washington Post Jerusalem Bureau Chief Janine Zacharia, The Atlantic CEO/former WIRED editor-in-chief (and Daily alum!) Nicholas Thompson, and Stanford professor and former board president of Investigative Reporters and Editors Cheryl Phillips.

Participants will meet with their beats on a weekly basis to go over the content from that week’s workshop and speaker event, and they’ll claim assignments to work on throughout the week — contacting sources, conducting interviews, drafting articles and working through edits, just like college Daily staffers. And they’ll have plenty of help along the way: Participants will meet with their editors in separate one-on-one meetings, and desk editors will check in regularly to support participants through each stage of the process.

Between scheduled events and independent projects, participants will be expected to commit at least seven hours to the program each week, but our editors will also be happy to support any participants interested in tackling additional projects and going above and beyond.

The workshop will be held from Monday, June 13, 2022 to Sunday, August 7, 2022 (exact dates and times TBD based on participant availability). DON’T WORRY if you cannot attend all of the remote training sessions. We understand circumstances are rapidly changing for many of us, and we will take measures such as sharing extensive notes and recording the training sessions (participants will not be recorded) to ensure resources are accessible to our participants. It is okay to participate in The Daily’s workshop and other extracurriculars concurrently, as you can shape your own schedule in our program.

The program fee for 8 weeks is $2200 total (about $275/week), accepted via Paypal. This goes toward The Daily’s operational costs. If participants have any incomplete projects left upon the program’s official end date, we will work with them to see those projects to completion at no additional cost.

If you apply and are accepted to both the Journalism Workshop and Tech Bootcamp, the combined program fee will be discounted to $3,510.

If you apply and are accepted to both the Journalism Workshop and Multimedia Workshop, the combined program fee will be discounted to $3,020.

We have both partial and full need-based scholarships available to all students under an honor system. We are committed to offering financial aid scholarships to ALL accepted students with need, and you won’t need to fill out any complicated financial forms to enable this process. If either a partial or full need-based scholarship would make a difference in helping you participate in our program, simply indicate your preferred amount in the program application and we will work to meet everyone’s need in full. 

If you have any questions related to financial aid or would like to meet with us to discuss options, please don’t hesitate to email [email protected]. We are committed to working with you to put together a scholarship package that meets your needs.

Feel free to email [email protected] with any additional questions!

8-Week Tech Bootcamp

The Stanford Daily is offering its 8-week all-remote Tech Bootcamp this summer, open to high school students interested in web and software development for news media! No coding experience is required. All you need to participate is access to a computer with Internet connection — any software or tools we will use are freely available. It is okay to participate in The Daily’s bootcamp and other extracurriculars concurrently, as you can shape your own schedule in our program.

Over the course of the 8-week program, participants will develop an understanding of how web development is integrated into modern-day newsrooms, including:

• How to set up your own coding environment
  • How The Daily’s own website and mobile apps are organized and operated
  • Intro to common web development tools, HTML & CSS, JavaScript
  • How to create beautiful data visualizations and interactives using Flourish
  • Overview of basic programming logic and techniques
  • How programming is being used at publications today
  • How our data/tech teams work with editorial to enhance coverage
  • How bias manifests in journalism tech and how it can be addressed
  • What working in software development can look like
  • Intro to common development tools like git, GitHub, the command line
  • How to host a website on the internet
  • What the heck terms like frontend, backend, react, express, mongo, node, npm, yarn (and many more!) actually mean

This is a paid program with full and partial need-based aid offered to all accepted applicants under an honor system (see below for more detail).

Students will engage in focused weekly projects leading up to a final hackathon that spans the last few weeks of the program, wherein students will be encouraged to team up on larger projects using the skills they’ve learned along the way. By the end of the program, students will have set up their own website that (if they want!) anyone in the world can visit, and will be equipped to continue developing sites independently.

We immerse participants in the experience through a dedicated Slack workspace where communication is regular, as instructors guide participants through their work individually on a day-to-day basis. Our work is complemented by social activities: We want you to have the opportunity to connect with fellow participants and Daily staffers!

This is an introductory-level course led by our editors, alongside project leaders on The Daily’s Tech and Data Visualization teams. Members of The Daily’s tech team have held prior positions with the software engineering teams at The Washington Post, The L.A. Times, and Google, and come equipped with backgrounds in computer science and statistics.

Participants will be expected to put in at least seven hours of work each week, but they can work as many hours as they’d like, as our instructors are always on call to help with participants’ projects.

Each week, we host weekend workshops with lecture material that will form the basis of a focused weekly project. Following each weekend workshop, participants meet in small groups with their assigned section leaders for an activity-based review of lecture topics. Participants will meet with their section leaders in separate one-on-one meetings each week as well. There are also optional weekday guest webinars featuring professionals from the field.

Our instructors are on call throughout each week, both to aid participants in their projects and to help participants with any issues they encounter. We will also host weekday office hours staffed by our instructors for participants to get as much feedback and assistance as needed.

We work with all of our participants in a dedicated Slack workspace that makes it easy for any given participant to get help from a Daily section leader at virtually any time.

We will host weekend workshops from Monday, June 13, 2022 to Sunday, August 7, 2022. We will host multiple live sessions of the same material throughout the week/weekend to accommodate varying schedules. DON’T WORRY if you cannot attend all of the remote training sessions. We understand circumstances are still rapidly changing for many of us, and we will take measures such as sharing extensive notes and recording the training sessions (participants will not be recorded) to ensure resources are accessible to our participants.

The program fee for 8 weeks is $1990 total (about $249/week), accepted via Paypal. This goes toward The Daily’s operational costs, including the pay of Daily section leaders who staff our program. If participants have any incomplete projects left upon the program’s official end date, we will work with them to see those projects to completion at no additional cost.

We have both partial and full need-based scholarships available to all students. We are committed to offering financial aid scholarships to ALL accepted students with need, and there are no complicated financial forms that we require to enable this process. If either a partial or full need-based scholarship would make a difference in helping you participate in our program, simply indicate your preferred amount in the program application and we will work to meet everyone’s need in full.

5-Week Multimedia Workshop

Over the course of the 5-week program, participants will learn the technical and non-technical components of producing high-quality podcast, photo and video journalism, including how to conduct remote video and audio interviews, editing, scripting and more. Mid-way through the workshop, students will be encouraged to team up on final projects using the skills they’ve learned along the way, building up to a project showcase at the program’s end. 

This is an introductory-level course led by our top editors in The Daily’s multimedia sections. NO EQUIPMENT is required to participate, besides access to a computer and phone.

Through our multimedia workshop, we help high schoolers develop multimedia projects, with the possibility of getting their work published on The Stanford Daily’s website as they receive one-on-one guidance from Daily editors in weekly check-in meetings and lessons. There will also be live weekly webinars with speakers. In the past they have included visiting Stanford journalism professor Geri Migielicz, who has received the Emmy Award and Pulitzer Prize for her work. We immerse participants in the experience through a dedicated Slack workspace where communication is regular, as editors guide participants through their work individually on a day-to-day basis.

Participants will develop a sense for what is newsworthy, what tools make multimedia journalism more meaningful to audiences, what ethical principles to keep in mind and how to get their work published for real-world experience that will prepare them for college journalism and up their game in high school as well. Our work is complemented by social activities: We want you to have the opportunity to connect with fellow participants and Daily staffers!

Participants will be expected to put in at least seven hours of work each week, but they can work as many hours as they’d like, as our editors are always on call to help with participants’ projects and get them published to our audience.

Each week, participants meet with their assigned editors and beat (a group of about 10 writers with 2 editors, for a 5:1 participant-to-editor ratio). Participants will meet with the editors in separate one-on-one meetings each week as well. At these meetings, participants will reflect on the content from that week’s lesson and speaker event. There are also weekly training/workshop sessions and webinars featuring professionals from the field, as well as office hours for students seeking technical help with editing.

Editors are on call throughout each week, aiding participants in their work with the opportunity to be published on stanforddaily.com for audiences to view. This model prepares participants for college journalism through real work experience.

We work with all of our participants in a dedicated Slack workspace that makes it so easy for any given participant to get help from a Daily staffer at virtually any time.

The workshop will be held twice a week from Sunday, July 3rd, 2022 to Sunday, August 7th, 2022. DON’T WORRY if you cannot attend all of the remote training sessions. We understand circumstances are still rapidly changing for many of us, and we will take measures such as sharing extensive notes and recording the training sessions (participants will not be recorded) to ensure resources are accessible to our participants. It is okay to participate in The Daily’s workshop and other extracurriculars concurrently, as you can shape your own schedule in our program.

The program fee for 5 weeks is $1245 total (about $249/week), accepted via PayPal. This goes toward The Daily’s operational costs, including the pay of Daily editors who staff our program. If participants have any incomplete projects left upon the program’s official end date, we will work with them to see those projects to completion at no additional cost.

(don’t worry, it’s short!)

We will evaluate applications on a rolling basis and get back to you with a decision/next steps within two weeks of receiving your application.

Toggle Dark Mode Toggle Dark Mode
Toggle Large Font Size Toggle Font Size

Apply to The Daily's High School Summer Program

Applications Due Soon