Support independent, student-run journalism.  Your support helps give staff members from all backgrounds the opportunity to conduct meaningful reporting on important issues at Stanford. All contributions are tax-deductible.

Programs for high schoolers (offered remotely in 2020)

The application for our 8-week workshop and day-long externship programs closed on May 22, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. PT.

Note: We have changed the name of our program from “Summer Internship Program” to “Summer Journalism Workshop” based on the helpful feedback of various community members, including student journalists. Thank you!

—————— 8-WEEK SUMMER JOURNALISM WORKSHOP —————

Through our 8-week, remote workshop, we help high schoolers get their work published on The Stanford Daily’s website (one of our participants had seven articles published last summer, and they stay online indefinitely!) as they receive one-on-one guidance from Daily editors in weekly check-in meetings and lessons. There will also be live weekly webinars with speakers including Nicholas Thompson, the editor-in-chief of WIRED (check it out!). We immerse participants in the experience through a dedicated Slack workspace where communication is regular, as editors guide participants through their work individually on a day-to-day basis.

Participants will be expected to put in at least seven hours of work each week, but they can work MANY more hours than this, as our editors are always on call to help with participants’ projects and get them published to our audience.

So what does a typical week look like?

Each week, participants meet with their assigned editors and beat (a group of about 10 writers with 2 editors, for a 5:1 participant-to-editor ratio). Participants will meet with the editors in separate one-on-one meetings each week as well. At these meetings participants will reflect on the content from that week’s lesson and speaker event. They will also claim assignments to work on throughout the week. There are also weekly training/workshop sessions and webinars featuring professionals from the field.

Editors are on call throughout each week, aiding participants in their work and getting it published on stanforddaily.com for audiences to view. This model prepares interns for college journalism through real work experience. Participants are not limited to writing and will also be able to work with our editors experienced in podcasts, graphics, tech and more.

We work with all of our participants in a dedicated Slack workspace that makes it so easy for any given participant to get help from a Daily staffer at virtually any time. 

Over the course of the 8-week workshop, participants will develop a sense for what is newsworthy, what tools make journalism more meaningful to audiences, what ethical principles to keep in mind and how to get their work published for real-world experience that will prepare them for college journalism and up their game in high school as well. Our work is complemented by social activities: We want you to have the opportunity to connect with fellow participants and Daily staffers!

The workshop is from Monday, June 22, 2020 to Friday, August 14, 2020. DON’T WORRY if you cannot attend all of the remote training sessions. We understand circumstances are rapidly changing for many of us, and we will take measures such as sharing extensive notes and recording the training sessions (participants will not be recorded) to ensure resources are accessible to our participants. It is okay to participate in The Daily’s workshop and another summer program concurrently, as you can shape your own schedule in our program.

The program fee for 8 weeks is $1990 total (about $249/week). This goes toward The Daily’s operational costs, including pay of the editors who staff our program. If participants have any incomplete projects left upon the program’s official end date, we will work with them to see those projects to completion at no additional cost.

We also offer both partial and full need-based scholarships to those for whom the program fee is a barrier. If participating in this program would pose a financial burden to you, or if you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to email [email protected]

—————— COVID-19 EXTERNSHIP PROGRAM (June 13) ——————

The Daily is offering a window into our experiences covering COVID-19 as college students. Over the course of the day-long program, participants will become familiar with modern tools and techniques in journalism, from data visualizations and live update tracking to sourcing skills and reporting ethics, especially at a college setting.

The externship will run from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday, June 13, 2020 over Zoom. There will be breakout sessions and time away from the screen to facilitate a more interactive and less exhausting environment.

The expected program schedule is as follows (all times PT):

9 – 9:10 a.m. Check-in
9:10 – 9:40 a.m. Welcome, introduction to The Daily, to each other and to our agenda for the day
9:40 a.m. – 10:20 a.m. Workshop #1: Data visualizations, behind-the-scenes look at ours amid COVID-19
10:20 a.m. – 11 a.m. Workshop #2: Live updates, how we stayed on top of COVID-19 coverage
11 a.m. – 11:40 a.m. Workshop #3: Avoiding sensationalization, maintaining integrity in a crisis
11:40 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. Lunch break, optional time away from screen
12:30 p.m. – 1:30 p.m. Workshop #4: Tools for journalists in covering things remotely
1:30 p.m. – 3:30 p.m. COVID-19 multimedia workshop (activity done in breakout groups w/ editor guidance)
3:30 – 4:15 p.m. COVID-19 reporters panel
4:15 – 4:45 p.m. Feedback, reflections on COVID-19 multimedia projects
4:45 – 5 p.m. Concluding remarks

The program fee is $199.

—————— GENERAL EXTERNSHIP PROGRAM (June 20) ——————

This full-day program offers a brief window into what working with The Daily is like. Through the program, participants will develop a sense for what is newsworthy in academia, how a good news article is structured and what ethical principles are used in reporting, especially at a college setting.

The externship will run from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday, June 20, 2020 over Zoom. There will be breakout sessions and time away from the screen to facilitate a more interactive and less exhausting environment.

9 – 9:10 a.m. Check-in
9:40 a.m. – 10:20 a.m. Workshop #1: Stories that matter, and how to find them
10:20 a.m. – 11 a.m. Workshop #2: Writing with meaning, but without editorializing
11 a.m. – 11:40 a.m. Workshop #3: Empathetic sourcing + responding to criticism
12:30 p.m. – 1:30 p.m. Workshop #4: Modern tools for journalists, and how to use them
1:30 p.m. – 3:30 p.m. Breaking news workshop
3:30 – 4:15 p.m. Journalist/Stanford faculty panel
4:15 – 4:45 p.m. Feedback on breaking news submissions
4:45 – 5 p.m. Concluding remarks

The program fee is $199.

WHO we are: The Daily has been Stanford’s only daily publication since 1892, as we print five days a week during the school year. We are a nonprofit independent from the University. We also release a daily email digest, which we have continued in the absence of our print paper amid the COVID-19 pandemic. Our website, stanforddaily.com, is a hub for Stanford news for students, alumni and community members.

For the past many years, The Daily has been proud to help high school students grow and develop their skills in many aspects of journalism, and we’re excited to provide you with this opportunity again.

WHO we’re looking for: High school students interested in any aspect of journalism! Most of our interns are a part of their high school’s paper, magazine, or other news outlet, but any relevant experience is great!

WHERE: Our official address is 456 Panama Mall, Stanford, California. However, note that our programs are being held remotely this year due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Contact [email protected] if you have any questions.