Programs for high schoolers (offered remotely in 2021)

Calling All High School Students: Apply to The Daily’s 8-Week, All-Remote Summer 2021 Journalism Workshop!

Click here to access the application (don’t worry, it’s short!).

Deadline to Apply: May 23rd at 11:59 p.m. PT. 

Join us for our annual 8-week, all-remote Summer Journalism Workshop! We’ll teach high schoolers the fundamentals of journalism through real-world reporting assignments, with opportunities to get their work published on The Stanford Daily’s website as they receive one-on-one guidance from Daily editors in weekly check-in meetings and lessons. 

Participants are not limited to writing and will also be able to work with editors experienced in podcasts, graphics, tech and more. Even if you’ve done a program with us before, you’re sure to learn new skills, encounter new challenges, and ultimately level up your journalistic toolkit! We have all-new content and guest speakers with fresh and exciting perspectives to bring to the table. 

This workshop is open to participants of all skill levels — our editors will work with you at whatever pace you’re comfortable with and get you up to speed regardless of your level of experience.

Over the course of the 8-week workshop, participants will get hands-on experience in the end-to-end process of news reporting, including:

• How to find stories and assess their newsworthiness
  • How to identify and interview sources
  • How to craft well-structured, interesting news pieces
  • How to write breaking news 
  • How to navigate the ethics of community reporting and report on sensitive subjects

In addition to writing, students will have the opportunity to learn multimedia and digital skills ultimately gaining exposure to the complete, real, end-to-end experience of working in journalism. Daily editors will offer guest lectures in some of the following topics: 

• An intro to the growing field of data journalism, including how to craft beautiful data visualizations in Flourish (such as this, this, and this)
  • How to use Figma to create graphics that bring stories to life
  • An intro to multimedia storytelling via podcast, video, and photo journalism
  • An intro to the business side of running a student media organization, including a case simulation and tutorials on tools you can use to manage your operations (i.e. Salesforce, Excel, Airtable, etc.)
  • And more!

Our program gives students the skills that will prepare them for college journalism and up their game in high school as well. Our work is complemented by social activities: We want you to have the opportunity to connect with fellow participants and Daily staffers!

This is a tuition-based program with full and partial need-based aid offered to all accepted applicants under an honor system (see below for more detail).

Participants are assigned to small groups for the duration of the program: around 10 writers with two editors, for a 5:1 participant-to-editor ratio, which allows them to work closely with Daily staffers while getting to know the other participants in the program.

They’ll be immersed in the program through a dedicated Slack workspace where editors guide participants through their work on a day-to-day basis and participants get the chance to know each other. This makes it easy for any given participant to get help from a Daily staffer at virtually any time, and for participants to form a network of other high schoolers interested in journalism.

This model prepares participants for college journalism through real work experience.

Each week, participants will attend workshops on different aspects of journalism, led by the program’s managing editors, and they’ll get to participate in live weekly webinars featuring professionals from the field. In the past, speakers have included Stanford professor and former Washington Post Jerusalem Bureau Chief Janine Zacharia, The Atlantic CEO/former WIRED editor-in-chief (and Daily alum!) Nicholas Thompson, and Stanford professor and former board president of Investigative Reporters and Editors Cheryl Phillips.

Participants will meet with their beats on a weekly basis to go over the content from that week’s workshop and speaker event, and they’ll claim assignments to work on throughout the week — contacting sources, conducting interviews, drafting articles and working through edits, just like college Daily staffers. And they’ll have plenty of help along the way: Participants will meet with their editors in separate one-on-one meetings, and desk editors will check in regularly to support participants through each stage of the process.

Between scheduled events and independent projects, participants will be expected to commit at least seven hours to the program each week, but our editors will also be happy to support any participants interested in tackling additional projects and going above and beyond.

The workshop will be held from Sunday June 20, 2021 to Saturday August 14, 2021 (exact dates and times TBD based on participant availability).

DON’T WORRY if you cannot attend all of the remote training sessions. We understand circumstances are rapidly changing for many of us, and we will take extensive measures to ensure resources such as recordings and notes are accessible to our participants. It is okay to participate in The Daily’s workshop and other extracurriculars concurrently, as you can shape your own schedule in our program.

The program fee for 8 weeks is $1990 total (about $250/week), accepted via Paypal. This goes toward The Daily’s operational costs. If participants have any incomplete projects left upon the program’s official end date, we will work with them to see those projects to completion at no additional cost.

We have both partial and full need-based scholarships available to all students under an honor system. We are committed to offering financial aid scholarships to ALL accepted students with need, and you won’t need to fill out any complicated financial forms to enable this process. If either a partial or full need-based scholarship would make a difference in helping you participate in our program, simply indicate your preferred amount in the program application and we will work to meet everyone’s need in full, so don’t hesitate to apply for a scholarship if it would enable you to do the program.

If you have any questions related to financial aid or would like to meet with us to discuss options, please don’t hesitate to email [email protected] We are committed to working with you to put together a scholarship package that meets your needs.

Want more information?

Feel free to email [email protected] with any additional questions!

Deadline to Apply: May 23 at 11:59 p.m. PT. 

We will evaluate applications on a rolling basis and get back to you with a decision/next steps within one week of receiving your application

Free Fridays lecture series

Since September 2020, we have offered a series of FREE mini workshops open to the public, led by our top editors and section leaders! Learn how to craft a great news lede, make graphics, create beautiful data visualizations in Flourish, draft a compelling opinion, and more!

Our workshops are beginner-friendly, and no experience is required! Whether you’re a high school student with no prior journalism experience or an experienced writer who’s interested in picking up some new skills, our workshops are open to individuals of any skill level and background.

All you need is access to a computer with Internet connection — any software or tools we will demonstrate are free and open-source.

More dates to come in the near future!

You can sign up using this form (also embedded below) to receive reminders.

Our paid programs offer full and partial need-based aid to all accepted applicants under an honor system.