Tuesday, May 21st, 2024
Search

Utility box art brings vibrant creativity to Belmont

Walking down the street, you probably don’t notice the small yet essential objects surrounding you. The fences, fire hydrants, and stop signs are just things that are there; you get used to them after seeing them your whole life. In the city of Belmont, California, things are no different. Many of the landscape’s plainest details go unnoticed unless one looks closely. However, one thing stands out amongst the grays and browns: painted utility boxes. 

As a beautification project, Belmont’s city council approved a utility box mural program in 2018. Residents could apply to paint a utility box, making the landscape a little bit brighter. The project added a little more positivity to the daily lives of Belmont residents. Even after four years, the utility boxes still retain their vibrancy. 

This utility box stands on the corner of Ralston Avenue and Cipriani Boulevard, near San Mateo Consolidated Fire Station 15. It depicts colorful flowers and blue birds on a salmon background. All four sides are painted, though only three sides are easily viewable. 
By Carlmont Village is this utility box that depicts a sign pointing to several Belmont attractions. The arrows include a local park, community and city buildings, Carlmont High School (not pictured), and other names.

A highlight for students of Fox Elementary School is this utility box across the street from the school. Several trees grace the surfaces of the box, with an owl hiding in the largest one. Located on the corner of Hallmark Drive and Ralston Avenue, this box is visible to anyone in the intersection and puts smiles on students’ faces as they pass by.
A little bit further down the road is Ralston Middle School, as well as another utility box. The deer, quail, and mountain lion (not pictured) that appear on the box are animals often seen around Belmont. 
As residents turn onto Davis Drive, often to visit Crystal Springs Upland Middle School, they will see this colorful utility box. The front depicts a globe and the words “Power Together As A Team!” On the sides are two women accompanied by flowers. On the back, there is a lion. 

This utility box stands about halfway between Ralston Middle School and Fox Elementary School. It depicts flowers and hummingbirds while spending most of its day in the shade. Students from both schools often see the utility box on their way to school or back home.

Photo gallery by Beck Von Tersch. Von Tersch is a high schooler producing content as a part of The Stanford Daily’s 2022 Summer High School Multimedia Workshop.