W. Gymnastics hosts Wildcats

As the Cardinal women’s gymnastics team faced the University of Georgia in its first meet of the season, it was well aware of the serious challenge that stood before them. Not only was Stanford contending with the five-time national champions and current top-ranked team, but it was also competing before 10,224 opposing fans in the bleachers of Georgia’s Stegeman Coliseum. Hopes were high and pressure was higher, but in the end, Georgia barely edged out the Card for a 195.150-195.050 victory.spo011410wgym

According to head coach Kristen Smyth, however, the Stanford women had every right to head back to the Farm with heads held high, after what she deemed a “really good start to the season.”

“We performed really well and handled all the factors beautifully,” Smyth said. “We focused on ourselves, which is always what we strive to do. The girls covered one another and had each other’s backs and that really allowed us to compete with confidence.”

The team hopes this confidence will carry them into this weekend’s home meet against the University of Arizona. The No. 20 Wildcats will likely pose less of a challenge than No. 1 Georgia, but nonetheless, fans can expect an exciting match-up this Sunday in Burnham Pavilion.

In last year’s dual meet with Arizona, Stanford reigned supreme, achieving a 195.575-195.175 win to preserve its perfect 8-0 record. However, the team’s overall performance was far from flawless, as they were outscored by the Wildcats in two events and finished with a season-low score. Parts of the meet were undoubtedly rough, but solid performances from team members Carly Janiga, Nicole Ourada and Shelley Alexander helped the Cardinal hold off No. 24 Arizona and achieve their eighth victory and best-ever start to the season.

Now as the 2010 Stanford women enter this Sunday’s meet, they again expect to come out on top. This time, however, they will have the tremendous contributions from freshman Ashley Morgan, a particular standout at the Georgia meet last weekend. In her collegiate debut, Morgan proved her aggressive and confident nature and she showed just how easily she can compete with anyone, despite her age. Smyth praised Morgan for a “fantastic job,” and she has no doubt that everyone can expect equally stellar performances from the freshman this Sunday and for the remainder of the season.

Overall, there are a few changes that will be made in the team’s approach to the upcoming meet; there will also be several differences from last weekend in terms of the competition’s atmosphere. For one, senior co-captain Allyse Ishino plans to employ a new release on the bars and these improvements should substantiate the team’s overall goal of creating more depth in its all-around game.

In addition, unlike last weekend, this Sunday the teams will engage in an exhibition routine for each of the four events, rather than for just one. Smyth hopes the extra exhibition routines will give the young team an opportunity to gain more experience in competing and receiving judge feedback, without worrying about scores. Ishino will be competing all-around for the first time ever with her exhibition performance on the floor. The exhibitions will also prepare the team for a Jan. 24 meet against UCLA.

The beam stands out as a sore point for the Cardinal, after several rushed routines against Georgia weren’t necessarily up to standard. They look to enhance and tighten their beam work for Arizona. At the same time, the women will ideally repeat their very strong performances on their vault, floor and bars routines.

The Cardinal looks to improve its current 0-1 record to 1-1, as it faces a team that Smyth says is “always strong and well-prepared.” Each event will be run individually, so the fans will be able to see every routine as it occurs. The team sees this location as advantageous and the gymnasts are eager to compete in what Smyth calls a “small, intimate atmosphere.”

And though the gym may be small, it holds plenty of room for spectators. In order to increase student turnout, the meet will include competition between the freshman dorms to see which can provide the most fans and the loudest cheers. The winners will win pizzas, but they will also see fantastic gymnastics and, if all goes as planned, they will witness a Cardinal victory.

Events will start at 2 p.m. in Burnham Pavilion this Sunday.