M. Volleyball: Fighting for the top spot

Seniors Kawika Shoji (12) and Garrett Werner (14) will look to keep Stanford in the thick of the MPSF title race. While Stanford is currently ranked No. 2 in the nation, No. 1 Pepperdine is also in the conference and leads the MPSF. (AURELIA HEITZ/The Stanford Daily)

Stanford (10-4, 8-4 MPSF) is coming off a successful week of conference play, with a three-game sweep of UC-Santa Cruz and a 3-1 victory over Pacific. Because the Card is only a half-match behind the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation (MPSF) leader, Pepperdine, this weekend’s matches are crucial for the team’s momentum going forward.

The Cardinal offense has proven unstoppable in the team’s current hot streak, leading the nation with a .353 overall hitting percentage. Against Pacific, sophomore outside hitter Brad Lawson led the team with an impressive .561 hitting percentage and 27 kills. Senior opposite Evan Romero and junior outside hitter Spencer McLachlin each contributed 14 kills. Senior setter Kawika Shoji tallied 61 assists in the victory.

In preparation for this weekend’s matches, the team has been focusing on its defensive play.

“Every day, we work to perform our best consistently over time,” Shoji said. “We need to continue to improve in all aspects of the game, but have focused on blocking and defense recently.”

Although ranked lower than Stanford, both UCSD and Long Beach are formidable opponents for the Card.

While UCSD (5-12, 2-10) has only two conference victories, both came on the road against solid squads: No. 5 UCLA and No. 1 Pepperdine. Senior opposite Frank Fritsch leads the Tritons in kills—averaging 3.57 kills per set—while the team is hitting .291 overall. Senior Jason Spangler and junior Joel Davidson, both outside hitters, also add to the offense with 3.25 kills per set and 3.19 kills per set, respectively.

“UCSD has some great wins this year,” Shoji said. “We know how dangerous they are, and we are a mature team that respects our opponents.”

Long Beach State (8-6, 6-4) is also riding a three-game winning streak as it heads north to face the Card. The team is led by senior outside hitter Tommy Pestolesi, who was voted AVCA National Player of the Week and MPSF Player of the Week for his .488 hitting percentage against UC-Irvine and 15 kills against UCLA. Aside from current leader Pepperdine, Long Beach was the only team to receive a first place vote in the AVCA Coaches Poll.

“We want to win both matches,” Shoji added. “We have a great opportunity to win both and continue to move to the top of the MPSF standings.”

Following Saturday’s match, Stanford will have a two-week break from matches to rest and prepare for the last stretch of conference play.

The Cardinal will take on UC-San Diego tonight at 7 p.m. and Long Beach State at 7:30 tomorrow. Both matches will take place at Maples Pavilion.