W. Tennis: Battle Atop the Pac-10

The No. 12 Stanford women’s tennis team (13-1, 2-0 Pac-10) will welcome No. 18 Southern California (11-6, 3-0 Pac-10) and No. 7 UCLA (16-2, 3-0 Pac-10) to Taube this weekend in a matchup of three teams undefeated in conference play.

The Women of Troy have been ranked as high as No. 7 in the nation, while the Bruins were responsible for Stanford’s sole loss this season; however, only this matchup will count towards the conference record. With Stanford looking to defend a 158-match home winning streak and the women looking for a win to propel them into the last few weeks of the season, the next few weeks could be vital.

W. Tennis: Battle Atop the Pac-10
Doubles will play a key role this weekend as Stanford takes on the L.A. schools. In Stanford's last match against UCLA, a doubles upset of the Card's top team gave UCLA the win. (Stanford Daily File Photo)

“When we went down there, we weren’t ready for that kind of match,” said junior Hilary Barte. “We hadn’t seen all the other teams, and it was our first tough test. The next couple of times, though, you’re more ready and you know what it takes. I think they’re in for a surprise.”

To date, Stanford has dominated nearly all of its opponents. No score has been closer than 5-2, and while their one loss to UCLA was a tough 6-1 defeat, the women responded positively to upset Cal soon after and reeled off their first sweep of Pac-10 schools this past weekend. The team has four players in the top 70, led by Barte’s No. 8 ranking. Stanford also has two doubles teams ranked in the top 35. Barte and senior Lindsay Burdette hold the No. 2 ranking, while freshmen Mallory Burdette and Stacey Tan are ranked No. 34.

The Cardinal faces USC on Friday in their first matchup of the season. The team has three players ranked in the top 30 in the most recent polls and are led by second-ranked Maria Sanchez. In doubles, Sanchez and teammate Danielle Lao are ranked No. 46, with the Trojans’ other two pairs ranked 62nd and 63rd. USC is coming off its own sweep of Pac-10 opponents when it defeated both Washington State, 7-0, and No. 19 Washington, 5-2. USC earned its first victory over Stanford in 23 years last season when they defeated the Cardinal 5-2 at USC, snapping a 50-match win streak.

“I know that USC has been struggling this year,” Barte said. “That’s interesting, but that kind of stuff flies out the window when we are set to play each other. It’s going to be tough like it’s always tough when you face rivals.”

Perhaps the most compelling matchup of the weekend will occur at the No. 1 singles spot as Stanford’s Barte takes on USC’s Sanchez. Barte has posted a 14-2 record against nationally ranked opponents and is now on a 17-match winning streak. Meanwhile, Sanchez has proven she has the advantage over top-10 players. She hasn’t lost to one all season.

“She’s full of confidence, obviously,” Barte said of her upcoming opponent. “Especially since I got her earlier in the year, she’s going to be fired up. Taking care of holding serve tomorrow will be key, and just trying to get my breaks–and when I do, hold[ing] onto them.”

Barte was recently named Pac-10 Player of the Week for her play over the weekend. She won all her matches in singles and doubles against Arizona, Arizona State and Pepperdine. This is the fourth time in her career she has won and the second for a Stanford player this year; Lindsay Burdette won the award for the week of February 1.

“It was cool,” Barte said. “I actually didn’t know until everyone sent me texts about it, but I thought it was a good reflection of the spring break trips.”

UCLA, meanwhile, will provide an opportunity for a measure of revenge for the Cardinal. Stanford is on a six-match winning streak since their one loss at UCLA. The Bruins have dropped in the rankings to No. 7 since the last time the two teams faced off. They have three girls ranked in the top 45, highlighted by Yasmin Schnack at No. 5. Two players on their roster, Maya Johansson and Pamela Montez, are undefeated in dual play this season. Johansson owns a 14-0 dual play record and Montez is 13-0.

The key to this match will take place in doubles. Last time they met, UCLA took the doubles after Schnack, and doubles partner Andrea Remynse upset Barte and Lindsay Burdette 8-5. The play between these two teams may end up deciding the match.

The women play USC on Friday at 1:30 p.m. and UCLA on Saturday at 12 p.m.