The Daily brief: June 18, 2010

By and

Conflict minerals | Stanford’s board of trustees has approved supporting shareholder resolutions that ask companies to report their policies on conflict minerals — minerals such as tin, tantalite and gold mined in the Democratic Republic of Congo and used in consumer electronics. The University’s Advisory Panel on Investment Responsibility & Licensing in April approved a proposal by student group STAND and forwarded it to the trustees. “Stanford is the first university in the country to adopt a proxy voting guideline focused on the issue, advocates say.”

Medvedev to speak | Russian President Dmitry Medvedev will speak at Stanford on June 23, the University said late on Friday.

West Nile | Two dead birds infected with West Nile virus were found at Stanford this year, according to Santa Clara County Vector Control District Manager Russ Parman. Officials have found 13 other infected dead birds in the county, prompting a scramble to identify at-risk areas ahead of mosquito season.

Vaughters commits | Over at @stanfordsports, our colleagues have pulled together the latest on new Cardinal football commit James Vaughters.

Reducing the nuclear risk | Security heavy-hitters Siegfried Hecker, former director of Los Alamos National Laboratory, and William Perry ’49 M.S. ’50, former U.S. secretary of defense, rolled out a new initiative in the Center for International Security and Cooperation on nuclear risk reduction. Among their goals: “working toward a world free of nuclear weapons.”

Solar Car takes 12th | The Stanford solar car team took 12th place this week at the Formula Sun Grand Prix in Cresson, Tex. and tied with Minnesota for fastest lap, clocking in at 2.05 minutes. The team is on the lineup for the American Solar Challenge race from Oklahoma to Illinois June 20-25. In the area? Brush up on your race-going etiquette: “Don’t shade the array,” warns the event program. “Watch your shadow when near the solar car during charging.”

Follow the Daily staff | Seventeen current and former Daily staffers are starting journalism jobs all over the world this month. A full list, compiled by your reporter, is after the jump.

An asterisk (*) indicates the internship is supported by the communication department’s Rebele Internship Fund.

Adam Cole ’09 M.S. ’10, staff writer, is a reporting intern at The Ferndale Enterprise in California.

Aimee Miles ’10, contributing writer, is a health reporting intern at the The Times-Picayune in New Orleans, La.

Amy Julia Harris ’11, most recently managing editor of features, is a reporting intern at the Half Moon Bay Review in California.*

Cassandra Feliciano ’11, staff writer, is a reporting intern at the Los Altos Town Crier in California.*

Charlie Mintz ’10, contributing writer, is a reporting intern at the East Bay Express in Oakland.*

Devin Banerjee ’11, senior staff writer, is the Daniel Pearl memorial journalism intern at The Wall Street Journal in New Delhi.

Elizabeth Titus ’11, most recently managing editor of news, is a reporting intern at The Texas Tribune in Austin, Texas.*

Ellen Huet ’11, most recently a news desk editor, is an editorial intern at the Monterey County Weekly in Monterey, Calif.*

Eric Messinger ’10, most recently senior managing editor, is the Friends of The Stanford Daily reporting intern at the San Jose Mercury News in California.

Jack Duane ’12, contributing writer, is an intern at The Bay Citizen in San Francisco.*

Joshua Falk ’12, staff writer, is an editorial intern at The Almanac News in Menlo Park, Calif.

Kate Abbott ’12, most recently a news desk editor, is an editorial intern at Time Magazine in New York.

Kathleen Chaykowski ’13, most recently a features desk editor, is a reporting intern at The Chautauquan Daily in Chautauqua, New York.*

Laura Stampler ’10, contributing writer, is an intern at The Miami Herald in Florida.*

Masaru Oka ’10, most recently managing editor of photo, is the Friends of The Stanford Daily photography intern at the San Jose Mercury News in California.

Ryan Mac ’11, senior staff writer, is a reporting intern at The Orange County Register in Santa Ana, Calif.*

Zoë Richards ’11, senior staff writer, is the Stanford in Government fellow at The Hill in Washington, D.C.

Additions? Corrections? E-mail [email protected].