Brief: Baseball players named to all-star, national teams

July 15, 2010, 12:23 a.m.

The New England Collegiate Baseball League named Stanford players Mark Appel and Kenny Diekroeger to the East Division’s All-Star Team on Tuesday. The NECBL All-Star Game will be played on July 18 in Newport, R.I.

Two of their teammates, Eric Smith and Chris Reed, received similar honors as members of the Atlantic Collegiate Baseball League’s West All-Star Team.

Diekroeger’s league-leading .383 batting average earned him the starting job at shortstop; he was also named co-player of the week earlier in the season. Appel is tied for second in the league with four wins as a pitcher and was named co-pitcher of the week last week after giving up just two hits in seven shutout innings.

Another Stanford baseball player receiving recognition this week was pitcher Brett Mooneyham, who became the 33rd Stanford player in history to be named to Team USA. The selections were made based on six days of trials; Mooneyham’s four shutout innings during a scrimmage helped earn him the spot.

Joseph Beyda is the editor in chief of The Stanford Daily. Previously he has worked as the executive editor, webmaster, football editor, a sports desk editor, the paper's summer managing editor and a beat reporter for football, baseball and women's soccer. He co-authored The Daily's recent football book, "Rags to Roses," and covered the soccer team's national title run for the New York Times. Joseph is a senior from Cupertino, Calif. majoring in Electrical Engineering. To contact him, please email jbeyda "at" stanford.edu.