Ogwumike, Pedersen cited as players to watch

Aug. 5, 2010, 12:24 a.m.

Stanford players Nnemkadi Ogwumike and Kayla Pedersen were named to the “Wade Watch” list Wednesday for the so-called “Heisman of Women’s Basketball,” the State Farm Wade Trophy Division I Player of the Year award.

The list includes 25 players from across the country, only three of which compete for a school on the West Coast. Ogwumike and Pedersen are the only selections from the Pac-10.

Ogwumike’s second season at Stanford last year was marked by a school single-season record of 376 rebounds as well as her performance against Oregon on Jan. 23, in which she recorded a record 23 boards.  She led the Pac-10 with 18.5 points a game and a 60.9 shooting percentage, earning her State Farm Coaches All-American honors for the first time.

Pedersen has been named to the “Wade Watch” list after each of her three seasons on the Farm, and last year averaged 15.8 points a game.  She has recorded 1,501 points and 986 rebounds so far, and she has the opportunity to be just the fourth player in Stanford history to contribute 2,000 points and 1,000 rebounds over a career.

Joseph Beyda is the editor in chief of The Stanford Daily. Previously he has worked as the executive editor, webmaster, football editor, a sports desk editor, the paper's summer managing editor and a beat reporter for football, baseball and women's soccer. He co-authored The Daily's recent football book, "Rags to Roses," and covered the soccer team's national title run for the New York Times. Joseph is a senior from Cupertino, Calif. majoring in Electrical Engineering. To contact him, please email jbeyda "at" stanford.edu.