Groundhog Day: Roxy’s Favorite Holiday

Groundhog Day: Roxy's Favorite HolidayRoxy’s always been a fan of the underdog. Not only do they usually work harder to prove themselves, but Roxy’s a utilitarian and feels that her attention is worth more when given to those who don’t get much from others.

That means that in the midst of the recently passed holiday season and the three-day weekends of winter quarter, Roxy would like to focus on a holiday that is oft overlooked, and undeservingly so: Groundhog Day.

A time when a debatably cute animal emerges from the ground and exhibits remarkable prescience about the weather: What could be better? It’s an air of mystery, of suspense, of the delicate balance between winter and spring. Roxy wants you to Punx her tawny Phil.

Puns aside, Groundhog Day’s prediction has practical applications to everyday life at Stanford. While the weather has been decidedly un-January-like in past weeks (The hot prowler’s effects linger much longer than they should, it seems.), February is fickle and could take a turn either for the better or the worse – but the little rodent underground can point the way.

For indecisive students: If the groundhog sees his shadow next Wednesday, that means winter weather for the rest of the quarter, which means using cold weather as an excuse to get closer. Yes, Roxy knows there’s heating in dorm rooms, but let’s all be sustainable and use body heat instead – and then Roxy would like you to do a little burrowing.

If, however, Phil sees cloudy skies, then winter’s at an end, and spring quarter will last five glorious months. If Wilbur Field last weekend was any indication, Roxy knows how she’ll be spending her time: minimally clothed, and in the company of minimally clothed pretty people. Hopefully on grass.

The decisive nature of Groundhog Day can also dictate the future of relationships. Spring quarter is approaching, and, especially if you’re about to graduate, Roxy knows this is not the time to tiptoe around relationship decisions. Rather, forge ahead, since time is limited. Unsure if your winter fling is still worth sticking around with (or rolling around with)? Place a bet on Phil’s choice and proceed accordingly. Keep what you have if he sees his shadow; if not, seduce the future.