Best and worst dressed of the Golden Globes

Courtesy of MCT

Everyone knows the Golden Globes are really just one big boozefest (see Meryl Streep’s acceptance speech). Any credibility the Hollywood Foreign Press Association had was thrown out the window last year after they nominated “The Tourist” in the best comedic film and acting categories. It’s just an excuse for Hollywood’s rich and famous to turn out, rub shoulders and have a good time. Here’s a look at what the celebs wore to the party.

Best

1. Nicole Kidman

After some recent fashion blunders, Kidman made a roaring comeback with this flawlessly fitted Versace covered in ornate, Indianesque studs whose warm hues accented her copper hair.

2. Jessica Alba

You can always rely on Alba to bring it when it comes to awards-show fashion. The Globes were no exception, with her romantic lavender gown by Gucci.

3. Kate Beckinsale

Beckinsale’s Golden Globes look was a variation of the same form-fitting gown, gentle up-do paired with giant dangly earrings combination she’s strutted at many a past red carpet. But after one look at the perfectly structured bodice of her Roberto Cavalli, it’s easy to see why the English actress wouldn’t want to mess with a winning formula.

Courtesy of MCT

4. Emma Stone

Everyone’s favorite bottle-redhead continued her red-carpet streak with another home run in a striking plum and fuchsia Lanvin.

5. Julianne Moore

Mermaid dresses were everywhere on the red carpet, but Moore managed to set her look apart with a two-tiered black Chanel and by accessorizing with eye-catching green tassel earrings by Fred Leighton.

6. Paula Patton

The bright yellow hue of the “Mission: Impossible” star’s Monique Lhuillier was a fun twist on the popular mermaid-cut trend and popped on the carpet, especially in a sea of beige and neutral-toned gowns.

Jury’s Out

1. Rooney Mara

Like a recent Gawker article asked: does Rooney Mara realize she’s not actually Lisbeth Salander? The rising starlet’s slew of black attire would point toward no. She looked great in her sexy Nina Ricci gown and accomplished the whole edgy thing, but with Mara’s monochromatic wardrobe, even Lisbeth couldn’t escape its overwhelming monotony.

Courtesy of MCT

2. Shailene Woodley

The “Descendants” star is another burgeoning actress who’s this close to getting it right. She looked elegant in her Marchesa, but the dress’s pale, off-white tone washed her out, distracting us from its fragile detailing.

Worst

1. Jessica Biel

It’s unclear why Biel decided to traipse down the carpet in this saggy-in-all-the-wrong-places (hello tri-boob), sickly colored Elie Saab that looked like one of Miss Havisham’s leftovers. As that American treasure, Joan Rivers, said, “She is bringing sexless back.”

2. Julie Bowen

Any episode of this season’s “Modern Family” would make you want to drive Bowen to the closest In-N-Out for a double-double with extra cheese. Her pale Reem Acra gown (which looked better on Olivia Wilde at the 2008 Emmys) did nothing to flatter her figure other than washing her out and drawing attention to her stringy, wan limbs.

Courtesy of MCT

3. Kelly Osbourne

Osbourne-tron 2000 greeted us from the future in an angular, electric blue Zac Posen contraption and bizarre white, gelled hair. Next time, leave the whole futuristic-alien thing to Tilda Swinton.

4. Sarah Michelle Gellar

Go ahead and call us heartless–not even the adorable fact that Gellar’s 2- year-old daughter helped her pick out this Marchesa couldn’t make us forgive Buffy for this weird, tie-dye disaster.

5. Lea Michele

The “Glee” star’s metallic Marchesa came off as vampy instead of high fashion. Plus, the whole selective embroidery thing looked better when Halle Berry did it back at the Oscars in 2002.

6. Jessica Chastain

Chastain tried to go for classy with this high-necked Givenchy but wound up matronly with its ill fit and unflattering color, exacerbated by the actress’s ugly, combed-back pomp. And it’s all a damn shame since Chastain’s had such a banner year both on the big screen and on the red carpet.