Beyda: In skipping White House visit, Thomas abused his fans’ trust

The traditional White House visit for the defending Stanley Cup (yes, that’s hockey) Champions is always a sight to see. Even though each year’s MLB, NFL and NBA champions — along with a host of NCAA-title-winning teams — also get to meet America’s commander in chief, the NHL’s rendition is quite unique. It’s known for kooky mispronunciations, the usual lack of presidential hockey knowledge and its tendency to set annual records for the highest concentration of “eh’s” in White House history.

As such, there’s always a spotlight on the few visiting players who actually happen to be American, especially if they played a key part in their team’s title run. This year was no different, and Flint, Mich. native Tim Thomas — the Boston Bruins’ starting goalie who became just the second American in history to win the Conn Smythe Trophy as playoff MVP — got by far the most media attention when the team visited Washington, D.C. this Monday.

That’s because, as one of only two Americans on Boston’s 2011 Cup-winning squad, Thomas decided that he didn’t want to visit the White House, shake the president’s hand and go through with the requisite photo-op. Explaining on Facebook that “the Federal government has grown out of control, threatening the Rights, Liberties, and Property of the People,” Thomas denied that his decision was partisan but cited his “right as a Free Citizen” to skip the event.

Instead, he sat around until the Bruins’ Tuesday matchup with the Washington Capitals, a game for which he was promptly and properly benched.

Since then, Thomas has been widely criticized in the media for letting his teammates down and creating widespread embarrassment for the Bruins organization. Even Massachusetts governor Deval Patrick chimed in about how “we’re losing in this country basic courtesy and grace.”

I’m not so concerned with how polite Thomas was; President Obama has to deal with Washington’s cutthroat political landscape on a daily basis, so I doubt he’s going to be all that offended by a hockey player’s political beliefs. And of course, as an American, Thomas has every right to do as he pleases and have his own political identity.

But this whole act has been a complete abuse of Thomas’ power as a prominent sports figure. If he wants to make political statements he should throw away the skates, run for office and remove any facade that he should be idolized by the people of Boston.

Sports fans have an inherent, blind trust in athletes. We know their personal lives aren’t perfect. I’m well aware of the steroid allegations against Barry Bonds, the marriage scandal Tiger Woods is dealing with and the second-degree vehicular homicide on Dany Heatley’s record. But because of their (albeit severed) connections to the Giants, Cardinal and Sharks, I can’t help but feeling a soft spot for them. Sports just couldn’t work any other way — fans wouldn’t pay to cheer for athletes they couldn’t get behind.

So as public figures that we have decided to identify ourselves with (and contribute to their bankroll), professional athletes have a professional responsibility to keep their mouths shut on political issues. Sure, players can do a whole lot of good by openly supporting charitable causes. But taking disestablishmentarian political stances on a public stage is hardly that. At this point, you probably have a whole bunch of naive, five-year-old Bostonians who are scared to death by the “threat” to their “Rights, Liberties, and Property.” And the only way to stop them from marching on Washington is to tell them that you shouldn’t listen to the man wearing that jersey, that he’s wrong, that he was rude to the president of the United States.

Tim Thomas is no monster hiding in the closet, but for parents of young Bruins fans that don’t happen to be members of the Tea Party, that’s the only way they can treat him if they don’t want their kids developing random political ideologies. Thomas has set up the kids of Boston for some extreme disillusionment.

Athletes have tried to take a political stand before; the 1968 Olympics come to mind instantly. Yet it just doesn’t matter how strong or poor your arguments are. Using your sports fame as a pedestal for political statements crosses the line.

Thomas may be able to make saves like an octopus, but it doesn’t mean he has intelligent opinions on politics. And it definitely doesn’t mean that I want to hear them.

Joseph Beyda is never one to shy away from a fight, most recently inciting a riot at the offices of The Daily after turning the TV to an NHL game during production. If you’d like to let him know how much you appreciate the sport, contact him at jbeyda “at” stanford.edu.

Joseph Beyda is the editor in chief of The Stanford Daily. Previously he has worked as the executive editor, webmaster, football editor, a sports desk editor, the paper's summer managing editor and a beat reporter for football, baseball and women's soccer. He co-authored The Daily's recent football book, "Rags to Roses," and covered the soccer team's national title run for the New York Times. Joseph is a senior from Cupertino, Calif. majoring in Electrical Engineering. To contact him, please email jbeyda "at" stanford.edu.