Murphy, Montgomery named Pac-12 Players of the Week

The Pac-12 named Stanford outside linebacker Trent Murphy and kick returner Ty Montgomery its defensive and special teams players of the week, respectively, on Monday, following the No. 5 Cardinal’s 31-28 home victory against then-No. 15 Washington on Saturday.

Fifth-year senior outside linebacker Trent Murphy (93) was named Pac-12 defensive player of the week for his performance in Stanford's win against Washington (SIMON WARBY/The Stanford Daily)
Fifth-year senior outside linebacker Trent Murphy (93) was named Pac-12 defensive player of the week for his performance in Stanford’s win against Washington (SIMON WARBY/The Stanford Daily)

Murphy led all players with 2½ tackles for loss in the game, sacking Huskies quarterback Keith Price on two occasions. The fifth-year senior also tipped a Price pass in the red zone that led to an interception by senior inside linebacker A.J. Tarpley in the fourth quarter.

Montgomery opened Saturday’s game with a 99-yard kickoff return touchdown, the second of his three-year career at Stanford. The other return touchdown, coincidentally, came on the very last play of a game, Stanford’s 44-14 win against Washington State in 2011. The junior finished with 290 all-purpose yards Saturday night, breaking the career high he set at Army (255) earlier this year, and added a critical 39-yard touchdown reception in the waning moments of the first half.

The conference Player of the Week honors were Stanford’s first this season through five games. The Cardinal racked up seven such awards in 2012.

Joseph Beyda is the editor in chief of The Stanford Daily. Previously he has worked as the executive editor, webmaster, football editor, a sports desk editor, the paper's summer managing editor and a beat reporter for football, baseball and women's soccer. He co-authored The Daily's recent football book, "Rags to Roses," and covered the soccer team's national title run for the New York Times. Joseph is a senior from Cupertino, Calif. majoring in Electrical Engineering. To contact him, please email jbeyda "at" stanford.edu.