Women’s, men’s soccer both lose to UCLA

Cardinal women’s soccer drops second straight at home

Just four days after losing its first home match since 2007, No. 5 Stanford women’s soccer fell again at Laird Q. Cagan Stadium, failing to upset No. 2 UCLA on Thursday night in a 2-1 defeat.

Down 1-0 in the 89th minute, Stanford’s Lo’eau LaBonta tied it up with a nifty move in the box, but Lauren Kaskie scored the golden goal for the Bruins in double-overtime. Stanford junior Chioma Ubogagu had a chance to win it in the first overtime, but her close-range shot was blocked at the line.

Stanford (9-2-1, 2-2 Pac-12) will host USC (5-6-1, 0-3) on Sunday.

Men’s soccer shut out by Bruins

Cardinal men’s soccer failed to score at No. 6 UCLA on Thursday night, falling 1-0 after an 89th-minute goal by Bruin defender Aaron Simmons. The two teams combined for 15 shots in the tight matchup, which was televised on Pac-12 Networks just before the women’s showdown.

Stanford slipped to 6-3-1 (1-2 Pac-12) with the loss, with all three defeats coming against top-six opponents. The Bruins stayed a perfect 2-0 in conference play and improved to 7-2-1 overall.The Cardinal will stay in Southern California for this Sunday’s conference matchup at San Diego State (3-5, 0-1), which stayed tough with No. 1 Cal on Thursday before surrendering a late goal as well.

Contact Joseph Beyda at jbeyda ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Joseph Beyda is the editor in chief of The Stanford Daily. Previously he has worked as the executive editor, webmaster, football editor, a sports desk editor, the paper's summer managing editor and a beat reporter for football, baseball and women's soccer. He co-authored The Daily's recent football book, "Rags to Roses," and covered the soccer team's national title run for the New York Times. Joseph is a senior from Cupertino, Calif. majoring in Electrical Engineering. To contact him, please email jbeyda "at" stanford.edu.