Graduate School of Education celebrates 100th year

The Stanford Graduate School of Education (GSE) is celebrating its 100th year with special programming, exhibits and activities, giving Stanford students, faculty and alumni the opportunity to look back at the school’s contributions to its field.

Celebrations kick off with a community party at the School of Education building on April 20.

The GSE is also creating a website that showcases Stanford’s legacy in education as well as lists events related to the centennial. The platform allows members of the Stanford community and beyond to share their stories about the impact of education.

Additionally, the GSE will open a new interactive exhibit outside Cubberley Auditorium to celebrate distinguished people associated with and ideas born from the school.

“Education is a huge enterprise that touches everyone’s lives,” GSE Dean Dan Schwartz said to Stanford News. “Our centennial gives us an opportunity to shine a light on this extraordinary past while also considering what the future holds.”

The School of Education originated as one of Stanford’s founding departments (Courtesy of Stanford News).

The School of Education originated as one of the founding and most popular departments of the University; trustees voted to elevate the department to its own school on March 30, 1997. Since then, the school has committed itself to advanced training and integration of research, theory and practice.

Faculty work to improve training through collaboration with other departments. The school offers nearly two dozen degree concentrations, research centers and collaborative programs. Alumni have careers in teaching, scholarship, activism, policymaking, technology and leadership.

Centennial festivities later in the year will include a Cubberley Lecture by acclaimed young-adult author Jacqueline Woodson, special events during Reunion Homecoming in October and a panel to discuss the future of education. Many of the events are free and open to the public.

Other GSE-related groups will hold their own centennial celebrations. The Stanford Teacher Education Program (STEP) will produce a centennial version of its annual Football Walk, and the GSE BeWell employee wellness team is planning centennial-themed health and fitness events.

The Stanford Historical Society will offer a free public program in early 2018 to explore GSE history.

“We hope throughout the year to engage a variety of voices in understanding the complexities of education,” Schwartz said. “These conversations will, no doubt, point to new ideas and actions for inaugurating the next century of work.”
Contact Gillian Brassil at gbrassil ‘at’ stanford.edu.