Sporting events you won’t want to miss during Parent’s Weekend

Parent’s Weekend is a time to show off all our lovely campus has to offer. While your parents may or may not be impressed with the academics, it’s difficult to argue with 24 straight Director’s Cups and the most NCAA Division I team championships of any school in the nation. Eight teams will be on campus this weekend, and you won’t want to miss any of them.

Men’s tennis

Stanford men’s tennis will take in-state rivals UC Davis (6-2) and California (2-3) to task at Taube Family Tennis Center today at 2 p.m. and Sunday at 1 p.m, respectively. The nation’s No. 6 team will begin an eight-match home stand after upsetting No. 7 Florida at the ITA National Team Indoor Championships last week. In the fourth meeting between the Cardinal and Aggies programs, Davis will seek to secure doubles wins, while Stanford will rely on its four ranked singles players, such as reigning Pac-12 Player of the Week sophomore Axel Geller. The Big Slam Sunday is a non-conference match, as the two teams will face each other in a Pac-12 match on April 13 in Berkeley.  

Women’s basketball

No. 7 Stanford women’s basketball will host, respectively, Arizona and No. 17 Arizona State at Maples Pavilion tonight at 7 p.m. and Sunday at 1 p.m. Stanford is returning home after finding its footing down in SoCal for two huge matchups against the Arizona schools. The Cardinal hosted No. 3 Oregon in the last game before the road trip, and had its 22-game winning streak in Maples snapped with head coach Tara VanDerveer suffering the worst loss of her illustrious career. Now, Stanford needs the energy of the Cardinal faithful to return in full force as the team looks to finish out the regular season strong and vie for a top seed in the NCAA tournament. Back in January, the Cardinal won by 30 in Tucson, with the big three of Alanna Smith, DiJonai Carrington and Kiana Williams all having phenomenal outings. Smith had a near triple-double of 20 points, 14 rebounds and seven blocks. At Arizona State, the margin of victory was only seven points, which included a half-court heave from Carrington. With these being the final two home games of the regular season, they are not to be missed.

Women’s tennis

No. 4 Stanford women’s tennis is holding serve against No. 7 Vanderbilt in the Taube Family Tennis Center at noon on Saturday in a rematch of the freaking 2018 NCAA Championship. Be there. The Cardinal are 5-1, having already defeated No. 18 LSU and No. 6 Texas. A loss in the last contest to No. 5 Georgia snapped a 25-match unbeaten streak that included the program’s 19th NCAA title last May. A marquee non-conference contest on a Saturday afternoon, what could be better?

Baseball

No. 12 Stanford baseball is taking on UNLV with a Saturday 1 p.m. doubleheader and Sunday 1:05 p.m. finale. The nation’s 12th-ranked team is coming home for their season opener, and you won’t want to miss it! Stanford is just 3-7 all-time against the Rebels, and in their most recent meeting in 2013, they were swept right here at Sunken Diamond. UNLV comes in with a 3-2 record and the big bat of Bryson Stott, who leads the team in batting average and slugging percentage. If you are a fan of runs, the Rebels sport an ERA of 7.43, and the Cardinal are sure to assess some damage.

Men’s gymnastics

Stanford men’s gymnastics is participating in the International Collegiate Open at 4 p.m. on Saturday in Burnham Pavilion. Our incredible campus is welcoming Olympic Champion Japan and cross-bay rivals California for an exhibition of brilliance. A week after eight Stanford-affiliated gymnasts participated in the Winter Cup, the Cardinal are continuing in the realm of international competition with the best of the best.

Men’s volleyball

No. 8 Stanford men’s volleyball will host UC San Diego in Maples Pavilion at 7 p.m. on Saturday. Up to the eighth spot in this week’s AVCA Division I-II Coaches’ Poll, Stanford is (10-5, 3-2 MPSF) including a split against No. 2 UC Irvine. In January, Stanford went four-for-four in recognition for MPSF Player of the Week, and now has six awards for the season. As a team, Stanford is sixth nationally in assists per set and kills per set, and 10th in hitting percentage. Junior Paul Bischoff is fifth in assists per set and sophomore Jaylen Jasper is sixth in kills per set and eighth in points per set. The Cardinal will be taking on a UC San Diego side that is 5-9 on the season, including an 0-3 start to conference play.

Women’s lacrosse

Stanford women’s lacrosse will follow up its pink out match with a contest against UC Davis at none other than Cagan Stadium at 1 p.m. on Sunday. The Cardinal are 28-4 against the Aggies, including an 18-6 home win in 2018. Each game there is a chance to witness history as seniors Genesis Lucero and Julia Massaro are both within striking distance of the program’s all-time career record for draw controls. A season ago, Stanford posted the second-most wins in school history, including an 8-2 record in the inaugural Pac-12 regular season. For their efforts, Stanford was selected first in the Pac-12 Preseason Coaches Poll.

Women’s gymnastics

Stanford women’s gymnastics will hit the mat against Arizona in Burnham Pavilion on Sunday at 3 p.m. The Cardinal are still looking for their first Pac-12 victory after a loss to Utah on Monday extended a Pac-12 skid to 13 matches dating back to the 2016-17 season.

Contact Daniel Martinez-Krams at danielmk ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Daniel Martinez-Krams '22 is a staff writer in the sports section. He is a Biology major from Berkeley, California. Please contact him with tips or feedback at dmartinezkrams ‘at’ stanforddaily.com.