Four automobiles broken into, AlertSU reports

Four automobile break-ins were reported between 2:25 p.m. and 4:09 p.m. on Monday, according to an AlertSU sent to the campus community on the same day.

The break-ins took place at various campus locations, including near the Track House Lot, Tresidder Memorial Lot and the intersection at Roth Way and Palm Drive, according to the alert. Items stolen from the vehicles included an iPad, wallet, purse, camera, laptops, clothing and backpacks, according to Stanford University Department of Public Safety (SUDPS) spokesperson Bill Larson.  

This is the second week in a row in which a crime involving vehicles was reported. A vehicle was reported stolen from Mirrielees House last week, with the incident having taken place between March 4 and April 5, according to The Daily’s Police Blotter report. It is unclear if there is a connection between Monday’s automobile break-ins and the vehicle stolen from Mirrielees.

SUDPS encouraged anyone who observes suspicious behavior or activity in a parking lot, garage, car port or private driveway to immediately call 9-1-1, according to the alert.

Among these suspicious behaviors include loitering around vehicles and attempts to open multiple door handles of car vehicles, according to the department. SUDPS also urged the community to look out for suspicious activities, including activated car alarms and vehicles parked in a way that could conceal crime. Larson recommended to avoid leaving valuables in a vehicle or in plain sight.

At this point in time, the suspect is unknown. However, a witness did observe a break-in of a vehicle at the Track House Lot. The suspect was “associated with a charcoal colored 2016 4-door Honda Accord with a stolen license plate,” Larson wrote in an email to The Daily.

This article has been updated to clarify that the crime on Monday referred to a vehicle break-in. It has also been updated to include more information on the break-ins from SUDPS.

This article has been updated to clarify the witness observation.

Carolyn Stein serves as the Magazine Editor for Vol. 263. She is double majoring in communications and East Asian studies. Her favorite activity is going on unnecessarily long walks. Contact her at news 'at' stanforddaily.com.