From the Community | Stanford’s climate action plan needs to think bigger

Climate change is one of the most pressing issues of the 21st century. I tend to use some variation of that to open most of my job applications. I don’t claim it’s a good intro — it’s incredibly cliché, and it doesn’t say anything people don’t know — but I think we forget it too easily. In 2022, over a third of Pakistan flooded, displacing millions of people. In Florida last summer, water temperatures reached over 100℉, bleaching vast swaths of coral reefs. We hear this discourse so much that we have almost become numb to it.

It is in this context that Stanford is developing its new climate action plan, which is scheduled to be released this summer. The previous plan was released in 2009, and has helped push the University to become the relatively sustainable institution that it is today. There are more steps Stanford could take, but the University has reduced, or is set to reduce, its direct emissions about as much as it can. So what should this new climate action plan seek to do? 

I would urge the University to focus on making broader change, not just on campus, but also beyond the Farm. Stanford is not just any university — it is a world-leading institution with outsized power, resources and influence. This gives it both the capability and responsibility to serve as a key player in the clean transition. It is not enough for Stanford to simply make its own campus sustainable. It must leverage its unique resources and expertise to take action where it is needed most, and create future sustainability leaders.

One major area of need is at the local government level. These jurisdictions are often severely limited in their capacity and funding, meaning that although many need or want to take steps to lessen their emissions, they simply cannot. Here, Stanford could provide services in a few ways. For one, it could serve as a direct research and analysis service, opening a structured online forum where governments could submit technical questions about the feasibility of certain sustainability measures, or how to take advantage of existing programs and funding. University researchers and staff could then use Stanford’s resources to provide a straightforward and actionable answer, allowing these governments to make an informed decision while saving time and money.

Alternatively, Stanford could utilize the funding it allocates to carbon offsets to help facilitate real projects on the ground in communities. Offsets have been a subject of scandal in recent years, and such projects would allow Stanford to better monitor its emissions impacts while also helping entities who may be struggling to transition. Finally, where it makes sense, Stanford can help establish and support additional internship opportunities in local governments to increase capacity while providing useful job experience and perspective for students. 

Next, I would urge a deeper focus on sustainability in Stanford’s career resources. To meet the needs of combating climate change, even just here in California, will require thousands of trained workers across all sectors of the economy. There is room for a focus on climate mitigation in every field, and students should consider the impact they can have within their chosen career path. These opportunities must be made prominent, whether in discussions with advisors, on department websites, or in career-planning resources. Stanford should also create a new Ways requirement in sustainability, where students can learn about climate solutions and options to tie this into potential careers. The world’s economy needs to change significantly to actually combat the climate crisis, and Stanford must take the initiative to prepare students for this new economy and train future climate change mitigation leaders in all fields. 

Lastly, it is important to build a culture on campus informed about sustainability challenges and working toward solutions. Climate change is a global issue. It cannot be solved with a couple of small policy changes. Instead, sustainability will have to permeate throughout our lives and influence how we live, and how we view the world. Stanford should host more events highlighting decarbonization pathways, and provide people with ways to get involved around campus. Residences should host sustainability talks with new students to help people learn to live more sustainably and think about these issues in day-to-day life. Lastly, Stanford should continue its living lab fellowship program to give students more opportunities to be involved with campus sustainability efforts, while gaining good work experiences. 

If Stanford’s new plan doesn’t seek to make this higher-level change, it must at least target the major lingering sources of emissions — Scope 3 emissions. This is the hardest to abate category, encompassing things outside the direct control of the University, such as transportation emissions from students and faculty, embodied emissions in the products used around campus, waste and more. Stanford has a real opportunity to pioneer Scope 3 reduction mechanisms, but to make real progress, it must be broad in its accounting, and prioritize the most efficient reductions. 

To maximize its impact in the fight against climate change, Stanford must accept its role as a world-leading institution, and use its funds and unique capabilities to make lasting change beyond campus. Similarly, we cannot take the actions of the Doerr school to be a substitute for Stanford’s climate action — we need the full weight and power of the institution behind this transition. Stanford must be willing to reach out to and engage with stakeholders to make progress where it is needed most. It must work to build a culture that values sustainability, and one where people are willing to prioritize that in their lives and careers after Stanford. Finally, it must innovate, and be willing to push the boundaries in its climate mitigation measures on campus. These goals must be enshrined in Stanford’s climate action plan if it is to succeed. Climate action is too large a task for everyone to fend for themselves, and Stanford should use its resources not just to be a role model, but also to help others.

Camden Burk is a junior in the earth systems program.