Letter from the Board | On our reporter’s arrest

Published June 12, 2024, 8:29 p.m., last updated June 13, 2024, 12:13 a.m.

The Stanford Daily thanks President Saller and Provost Martinez for reinstating our reporter, Dilan Gohill ’27, and for revoking his suspension. In light of the University’s decision, we now ask the Santa Clara County District Attorney’s Office to decline pursuing criminal charges against Dilan, which would be plainly unfounded.

To be clear, Dilan appeared at the June 5 demonstration solely as a reporter covering the demonstration. Bearing and presenting valid press identification at all times, Dilan did not participate in or plan the demonstration. He had no prior knowledge of any plans to enter Building 10, entered only to report the news, and was unable to leave once barricaded inside by the demonstrators who entered it first.

That another student formerly affiliated with The Daily participated in the June 6 demonstration had no bearing on The Daily’s and Dilan’s role covering it. Our reporters received a tip about the demonstration from an organizer, not this other student who participated in the demonstration without The Daily’s knowledge or permission. The Daily immediately demoted that student, who later resigned after a conversation with editorial leadership. The Daily takes no position on her standing with the University, or in any penal action brought against her.

Independent student journalism benefits the entire Stanford community, and The Daily takes seriously its role upholding the highest professional and ethical standards. The Daily will continue to be guided by these standards, including in how it prepares its student journalists to cover fast-paced campus protests in the future.

Kaushikee Nayudu, Editor in Chief 

Emma Talley and Jessica Zhu, Executive Editors

The Stanford Daily Board of Directors 

Friends of The Stanford Daily Foundation

Kaushikee Nayudu '24 is The Daily's Editor in Chief. Contact her at knayudu ‘at’ stanforddaily.com.Emma Talley is the Vol. 265 Executive Editor. Previously, she was the Vol. 261 Editor in Chief. She is from Sacramento, California, and has previously worked as a two-time news editor and the newsroom development director. Emma has reported with the San Francisco Chronicle with the metro team covering breaking news and K-12 education. Contact her at etalley 'at' stanforddaily.com.Jessica Zhu '24 is the executive editor for Vol. 264 and 265 and was formerly head copy editor and a desk editor for news. She studies international relations, human rights and French, and can probably be found at CoHo with a quad espresso.