Women’s volleyball falls to Pitt Panthers in straight sets

Published Oct. 21, 2024, 12:20 a.m., last updated Oct. 21, 2024, 12:21 a.m.

A highly-anticipated matchup between two powerhouse schools on Sunday quickly evolved into a one-team show. 

After a commanding sweep over No. 12 SMU on Oct. 16, No. 5 Stanford (14-3, 6-2 ACC) carried huge momentum heading into its match against No.1 Pitt (17-1, 7-1 ACC). However, Stanford was overwhelmed by the Panthers, losing 3-0 with a hitting percentage of just .090 — the team’s lowest since 2020. 

Stanford faced off against Pitt for only the fifth time in program history, and the first time in 30 years. Previously unbeaten against the Panthers, the Cardinal saw its 4-0 streak snap in front of a sold-out crowd at Fitzgerald Field House, as Pitt’s offensive firepower took control of the match.

The Panther’s sophomore duo Torrey Stafford and Olivia Babcock posed a major threat to the Cardinal, totaling 29 kills. The pair dominated the match, breaking through leading senior middle blocker Sami Francis and repeatedly forcing Stanford into defensive positions. Pitt’s setter, Rachel Fairbanks, also led the Panthers on a 5-0 service run in the second set that rattled Stanford’s defense. 

As the match progressed, Stanford was unable to counter Pitt’s firepower. Cardinal junior outside Elia Rubin, who had the highest number of kills against SMU, was held to a hitting percentage of -.038. Rubin, alongside sophomore opposite Jordyn Harvey, struggled against strong blocks set by Pitt’s Babcock and Bre Kelley. 

Aside from the opening point of the match, Stanford’s only lead came in the third set following back-to-back blocks from Rubin and Francis. Attempting to regain momentum, the Cardinal recorded 11 kills and a hitting percentage of .133 — its highest of the three sets. Yet, miscommunication and defensive lapses cost the Cardinal the must-win set.

Stanford’s match against Pitt was the Cardinal’s third top-five ranked matchup this season — all of which ended in straight-set losses — raising questions about their ability to defend their No. 5 position. After a week on the road, Stanford will look to bounce back in back-to-back games against Cal on Wednesday and Friday.