Rags to Roses: Meet the Authors

From left to right: George Chen '15, Joseph Beyda '15 and Sam Fisher '14. (ZETONG LI/The Stanford Daily)
From left to right: George Chen ’15, Joseph Beyda ’15 and Sam Fisher ’14. (ZETONG LI/The Stanford Daily)

Joseph BeydaJoseph Beyda

Joseph Beyda ’15 began watching Stanford football as a five-year-old. Since then, he has attended nearly every home game since 1998, 15 consecutive Big Games (with a record of 8-7) and two Stanford Rose Bowls. Joseph serves as a sports desk editor and columnist and was also the 2012 summer managing editor. Besides his role as a football feature writer, Joseph has worked on the women’s soccer and baseball beats, covering the Cardinal soccer team’s 2011 NCAA title for the New York Times. Beginning July 1, he will be The Daily’s football editor. Joseph is majoring in Electrical Engineering.

George ChenGeorge Chen

George Chen ’15 started watching football when he was eight years old. Despite growing up on the East Coast, he vividly remembers his introduction to Stanford football: watching endless highlights of the Biggest Upset Ever on SportsCenter. George is the managing editor of sports at The Daily; this past year, he was the Stanford football beat writer and live blogger. Starting July 1, he will serve as the paper’s executive editor while continuing to contribute to The Daily’s football coverage. Hailing from Painted Post, N.Y., George is a pre-med majoring in biology.

Sam FisherSam Fisher

Sam Fisher ’14 went to a Philadelphia Eagles game with his dad in 1997 and has been hooked on football ever since. In the past 16 years, Sam has overcome his fear of the rain and replaced the Eagles with the Stanford Cardinal. Sam has covered a BCS game, a women’s basketball Final Four and an NCAA baseball regional. Sam serves as a sports desk editor and columnist and, beginning July 1, he will be the managing editor of sports. In addition to his work at The Daily, Sam does play-by-play for Stanford football on KZSU. Sam is majoring in Symbolic Systems.