Letter from the editors: Regarding Monday’s opinion piece

On Monday, Sept. 26 at 11 p.m., The Daily published a piece titled “From the Community | The reason elite universities are out of touch” which was submitted by a person who is not a member of The Daily’s staff. We were made aware that the piece contained sentences that were either identical or extremely similar to a New York Times op-ed. The Daily immediately removed the article from our website.

The publication of unoriginal work is wholly against The Daily’s policies and standards. The Daily regrets this error. We are undertaking an internal review to safeguard against such a thing happening again. We have barred the author from submitting future pieces and will be taking immediate steps to incorporate more thorough originality checking on all future content.

Joyce Chen ‘25 is the chair of the Editorial Board for Vol. 263. Previously, she was the managing editor for the Opinions section for Vol. 262. Contact her at opinions ‘at’ stanforddaily.com.Sajan Mehrotra ‘23 is a managing editor for the Opinions section for Vol. 260, 261 and 262. A math and political science major from New York, he enjoys eating pizza, running, and watching Gossip Girl with his little sister. Contact him at smehrotra ‘at’ stanforddaily.com.Sam Catania ’24 is the Volume 262 Editor in Chief of The Daily. Previously, he was Chief Technology Officer, the producer of the weekly video roundup, a news beat reporter covering COVID-19 on Stanford's campus and the assessment team leader of The Daily's Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) team. Sam hails from Philadelphia and is studying Symbolic Systems. You can follow him on Twitter @sbcatania. Contact him at scatania 'at' stanforddaily.comKirsten Mettler '23 is an Executive Editor of The Stanford Daily. She is a former Managing Editor for Arts & Life and Desk Editor for News. Contact her at kmettler 'at' stanforddaily.com.Tammer Bagdasarian '24 is an Executive Editor for The Daily, and is planning to major in Communication and Political Science. He previously served as a News Managing Editor. Contact him at tbagdasarian 'at' stanforddaily.com