Weekend Roundup email newsletter: April 19 edition

Our Weekend Roundup is released on Sunday mornings during the school year and features an engaging rundown of the news from the previous week in the form of a briefing. It also includes editors’ picks from other sections. Subscribe here to receive emails like this.

Grid view of Zoom meeting as University President Marc Tessier-Lavigne gives an update to the Faculty Senate

After weeks of criticism, Stanford announced on Tuesday that it would pay its regular employees through June 15 and work with contract firms “so that, with Stanford resources and the resources offered by the government, these firms will be supported in maintaining income and benefits” to Stanford’s subcontracted employees through the same period.

The announcement follows activism spearheaded by Stanford Students for Workers’ Rights (SWR) and embraced by students, staff, faculty and alumni. Many of those activists attended Thursday’s virtual Faculty Senate meeting, setting purple Zoom backgrounds that read “#PAYSTANFORDWORKERS” and pressing the University for more transparency on its plans to support its subcontracted workers.

SWR is also calling for increased sick leave and protections for UG2 employees — Stanford’s subcontracted custodial workers — in the wake of news that one tested positive for COVID-19. UG2’s director of operations said the company has increased its safety procedures, but a UG2 employee told The Daily that UG2 is not sufficiently enforcing these procedures, and a union representative said that several employees are concerned they may have been exposed to the virus.

Graph on 'Efforts to flatten the curve' in terms of COVID-19 cases

Thursday’s Faculty Senate meeting made headlines for another reason, too: Provost Persis Drell said the University is contemplating starting the next academic year in winter, with quarters continuing through the spring and summer. That scenario is one of a handful that the Fall Planning Task Force is considering, and it expects to make a recommendation to the president and provost next month.

Meanwhile, Governor Gavin Newsom is weighing what it will take to open up California. In a press conference on Tuesday, he said he will consider putting forth a timeline to relax social distancing measures in two weeks if conditions in the state improve, but he cautioned that mass gatherings are unlikely until California develops herd immunity or a vaccine is created.

A view of the 'Bay Area School Meal Pick ups' map

Sierra Canyon High School’s senior forward Ziaire Williams, who holds the No. 7 spot in the ESPN 100 for the 2020 class, announced his commitment to Stanford in a video posted to his personal social media accounts on Sunday. With the decision to come to Stanford, Williams became the first five-star recruit to commit since Reid Travis ’18 moved to the Farm in 2014. The 6’8″ Williams was heavily sought-after by numerous other programs, including four Pac-12 foes — USC, UCLA, Arizona and Oregon — and North Carolina.

Stanford Hospital

For the latest coronavirus updates, follow along with The Daily’s live blog, which includes a map of confirmed cases and a timeline of Stanford’s response to the outbreak.

• Doctors at Stanford Hospital described the past month on the frontlines of the coronavirus response: “This is what we signed up for,” one said.

• Santa Clara County may have had 50–85 times more COVID-19 infections by early April than the number of confirmed cases at that time, according to the results of a Stanford study conducted earlier this month.

• Stanford has rescinded the admission of a football recruit after investigating his involvement as a witness in a 2018 alleged sexual assault.

• Students are adapting to online courses and scrambling to find summer plans after some companies canceled their internship programs and Stanford announced that University-funded summer programs would be conducted remotely.

• Callisto Campus, a tool for documenting sexual assault at colleges, will be discontinued at the end of June and replaced with a new version of the program. Account data was set to be deleted in the transition, but this decision was reversed after community members voiced concerns.

•  
    An incoming student hits a gong in front of Old Union, signaling that they have decided to attend Stanford.

In Opinions, Malavika Kannan delves into how the loss of Admit Weekend affects minority ProFros’ ability to imagine their place on campus. In The Grind, German Enik describes how legally changing his name brought him closer to his true self. For Arts & Life, Jasmine Liu remembers her last night spent at Cantor’s First Friday, and one piece of art that has resonated in the wake of leaving campus. And in Satire, Benjamin Midler reveals what happened when one student’s housing front desk shipped his belongings home — to his Marriage Pact match.

• The Stanford Woods Institute for the Environment is holding a celebration for the 50th anniversary of Earth Day on Monday afternoon.

• Stanford Medicine is hosting a COVID-19 town hall featuring Stanford professors and a representative from the Santa Clara County Public Health Department on Thursday afternoon.

• Stanford Medicine faculty, residents, staff, students and friends are performing a virtual concert every Thursday evening. (For more on this series, check out Arts & Life’s feature.)

• The Stanford Spoken Word Collective is presenting Friday open mic nights, where students can share in poetry and community, in addition to hearing from a different featured poet each week.

Have an event you’d like featured in next week’s roundup? Let us know at [email protected].

•  
    Drawing by Grind contributor Helena Zhang

“My first memory — like, ever as a child — was going to the wet market with my mother in Singapore and buying fish and vegetables. I’ve always been really confused by why this memory, out of all memories, was the only one that stuck. She always told me to name the fish and vegetables. She would be like, ‘What’s this fish, and why don’t you know what this fish is called?’ She would make me talk to the sellers, too. She always wanted me to sense my place. ‘Smell the air, touch the vegetables, hear the world around you. How does it make you feel? Adjust and find your place in the environment.’”

For more on Muhammad Dhafer ’23 and the full “Humans of Stanford” project, please visit @stanforddaily on Instagram.

That’s all for this roundup. Though The Daily is suspending its print edition, we’ll continue to bring you updates on coronavirus, online spring and more through our email newsletters, social media platforms and our website, stanforddaily.com.

Are we missing something? Click here to send us a tip.